Losing my saved game

Losing my saved game

Postby Emeraldlink » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 pm

I've been playing the single player game in browser for quite some time. When the recent update happened, I lost the save I had built up for quite some time. I started anew and had gotten a few things done, but the game has been wiped away again, even though I updated the saveword. Is there a reason this is going on? I have a feeling there isn't a way to get the saves back, but is there anything to prevent it from happening again?
Emeraldlink

Re: Losing my saved game

Postby Wahn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 am

Playing the game in a browser and trusting easily deleted cookies with your saves isn't an ideal solution. I'd recommend grabbing yourself an interpreter - WinGit seems a good one that I use myself (http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... sXgit.html) and the raw game file from the links section. Then you can run the game offline on your own computer, have actual save files that have a bit more persistence and decide yourself at which point you want to switch to a new game version and go through the saveword/load process.
Wahn

Postby Emeraldlink » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:27 am

I didn't even think about cookies. I'll look into that. Thank you. ^_^
Emeraldlink

Postby boring7 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Don't forget, new builds = old saves don't work.

Savewords *usually* do, but the more plot elements you've completed the better chance you have of something shifting and you end up with a dominant Icarus in your library despite having never met the bastard before.

Full disclosure: This may have been because I was also hacking my stats and cheating but I kind of doubt it. I've successfully altered my stats many times before and since with no problems, as long as it was at the very start of the game.
boring7

Postby nukuv » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:07 am

We do very much try to avoid ever re-using the same number ever again, so things should not shift on their own. We add to the end, not the start or the middle.
nukuv
Site Admin

Return to General Chat