Suggestions Wanted

Re: Suggestions Wanted

Postby AGentlemanCalledB » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 pm

reproduction/population

There was also some relevant talk on this topic over on the Q&A blog. Working mostly from memory so I may not have it 100% right but there was talk that as time passes gestation periods are gradually slowing down back towards pre-Pday norms, slowing the reproduction rates somewhat over time. It was also stated that the fertility of the average infected is regulated by nanites somewhat, a malnourished unhealthy critter (like a husky who spends all her time seeking her next fuck) is less fertile then a relatively healthy one. So even though that husky is getting it a lot more, she's much less likely to get impregnated then someone survival focused like the PC.
AGentlemanCalledB

Postby AnOne » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:44 am

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:Isn't the nanite infection actively rewiring all the infected peoples' brains to make them more accepting of what's going on? As far as the reason that there isn't the expected level of mass hysteria, I mean.

Yes and no. Nuku's answers on the matter are inconsistent to say the least, and seem to vary depending on what time of the day you decide to ask. At one moment the nanites do nothing but give minor suggestions that you must consciously choose to act on, another moment you must (but can) struggle against new instincts, a third moment everyone infected by nanites died and became a nanite-fabricated copy with some tweaks (some more major than others)...

Nuku's canon policy, going by the latest Ask on his blog, is just "Whatever you need it to be for the scene to work. Unless I say otherwise."
AnOne

Postby Wahn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:57 pm

AnOne wrote:
Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:Isn't the nanite infection actively rewiring all the infected peoples' brains to make them more accepting of what's going on? As far as the reason that there isn't the expected level of mass hysteria, I mean.

Yes and no. Nuku's answers on the matter are inconsistent to say the least, and seem to vary depending on what time of the day you decide to ask. At one moment the nanites do nothing but give minor suggestions that you must consciously choose to act on, another moment you must (but can) struggle against new instincts, a third moment everyone infected by nanites died and became a nanite-fabricated copy with some tweaks (some more major than others)...

My personal explanation for that is that all of the above is correct - the nanite infection isn't in any way uniform after all. Hundreds or thousands of different strains that change persons into all kinds of shapes... who says that the mental effects are all the same too? Different strains of the malfunctioning and evolving nanites will completely overwrite a person's mind, or do nothing at all - and combined with the multitude of other factors like a given persons levels of resistance, etc. ...pretty much anything can happen.
Wahn

Postby boring7 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:07 pm

My own headcanon for psychology is that the nanites form "hives" which maintain a healthy number of them (for fighting off casual infections of OTHER nanite strains) while also interfacing with body systems including the brain and actually being affected by a creature's mental state and architecture, resulting in a chaotic blend of influence and counter-influence.

"Possession is a subtle thing, after all, and it's often hard to tell who is possessing who..." Not that anyone would know that reference.

And so you get people who turn into skunks because they love skunks and jocks who turn into greeks because Spartan Spirit! and repressed nuns who become sex-crazed dragon-ladies.

I think too much about mechanics. The results of a misspent youth reading geopolitics.
boring7

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 am

boring7 wrote:<tf internally driven?>

Certainly there is some of this going on, though a lot of it is the misprogrammed nanites and their controller system desperately latching onto anything it detects nearby to provide it with some direction. Sometimes that comes from within the infected individual, at other times it's something external, and other times it's seemingly random with the machine instead activating according to an instruction set it either already had or just created elsewhere. The latter only really applies to the spontaneous changes which affected many survivors in the initial moments of the outbreak as the nanites went haywire. The transformations in this outbreak area are very sexualized and mostly animal-driven because of reasons, but that is not always the case. While I'm less familiar with the canon for other areas, I know there's variation between how the infection has manifested itself in other areas. The one that comes to mind is a robotic area populated by aggressive machines.

I'll just add that you can't always trust the 'expert opinions' of the more informed or scientific NPCs you meet in the game to be fully accurate. At times, they are presenting theories based on conjecture or their own limited experience and experimentation. Some of what they say is true, or at least partially true, but not always. This is why there's some contradiction between their views as to what's going on and what's to be done about it.
TigerStripes

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 am

At least some of the experts in the game appear to be deliberately lying.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey, this seems like it might have been an oversight, but Coleen can't be found until after the third Military Presence event with the Paratroopers, but Vanessa and Meredith, who were apparently in the same squad, can be found prior to that event.

So to make everything work either Vanessa shouldn't be encounterable until after Military Presence or the scene where they meet each other should be altered so that they're not from the same squad.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby boring7 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:Hey, this seems like it might have been an oversight, but Coleen can't be found until after the third Military Presence event with the Paratroopers, but Vanessa and Meredith, who were apparently in the same squad, can be found prior to that event.

So to make everything work either Vanessa shouldn't be encounterable until after Military Presence or the scene where they meet each other should be altered so that they're not from the same squad.

Confirmed, never noticed this before and I could swear it didn't used to be that way in earlier versions. Perhaps I'm mistaken though.
boring7

Postby gappydave » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 am

How about a quest to get back Elijah's sword which you either keep or give back to him.
gappydave

Postby userpay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 am

Combination question/suggestion.

So when you say normal download links does that mean from the links or the play flexible survival tab? As of right now I don't see any obvious notice as to whether it detects I have a multiplayer sub or not (assuming I'm at the right spot) so it might be a good idea to add a color coded line or image like green for sub/full access, yellow for one week delay access, and red for two week delay access or something like that.
userpay

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat