Interpreters!?

Interpreters!?

Postby Sargash » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 pm

I know, I should probably know this, but I can't figure out, can someone help me acquire a nice list of interpreters, and how to use them?
Sargash

Re: Interpreters!?

Postby Dormir » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Maybe this site will help out.

http://inform7.com/if/interpreters/
Dormir

Postby Wahn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:00 am

If I remember right, Gargoyle does have some sort of problem with the "undo" command in FS. I personally use WinGlulxe
Wahn

Postby millyrainbow » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 am

Id like to note that WinGlulxe seems to also have an issue with dropped inventory, while Gargoyle doesnt, and its much heavier than Gargoyle, and thus runs slower.

This is also why i found myself here xD im also looking for a new interpreter, cause i need a replacement for gargoyle because of the lack of undo, but i need one that works faster than a bloody snail
millyrainbow

Postby Alesleo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 am

I use Git for windows, i think you can find it under the list posted by Dormir.
I didn't try other interpreters, but It feels quite fast and never gave me problems.
Alesleo

Postby Wahn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:36 am

Try Git then - I've just found that myself on http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... sXgit.html

To quote the internal description of Git:
Git's main goal in life is to be fast. It's about five times faster than Glulxe, and about twice as fast as Frotz (using the same Inform source compiled for the Z-machine). It also tries to be reasonably careful with memory: it's possible to trade speed off against memory by changing the sizes of Git's internal buffers. Git was written so that people would be able to write huge games or try out complicated algorithms without worrying about how fast their games are going to run.
Wahn

Postby Nookee » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Wahn wrote:Try Git then - I've just found that myself on http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... sXgit.html

To quote the internal description of Git:
Git's main goal in life is to be fast. It's about five times faster than Glulxe, and about twice as fast as Frotz (using the same Inform source compiled for the Z-machine). It also tries to be reasonably careful with memory: it's possible to trade speed off against memory by changing the sizes of Git's internal buffers. Git was written so that people would be able to write huge games or try out complicated algorithms without worrying about how fast their games are going to run.

Git is actually the interpreter used in Gargoyle, Gargoyle is really a GarGLK frontend to the different interpreters it supports.

As for the undo issue, there is an Inform 7 extension that fixes the undo issue. I haven't tried it out yet, though. http://inform7.com/extensions/Dannii%20 ... index.html
Nookee - AKA NukuNookee (leaving off the Nuku to reduce confusion...)
--
Gynoid Conversion, how can we make you better today?
Latest version 38 alpha here. Website here.
Nookee

Postby millyrainbow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 pm

this might be poking at the obvious, or not, but with the new update, i decided to just use the installer. turns out the installer is using what i think to be a modified gargoyle, because undo functions perfectly fine with it... so.. yeah. if youre wanting to use gargoyle just get the installer. it works. :l
millyrainbow

Return to General Chat