PC Gender Question

PC Gender Question

Postby sacredferro » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:41 pm

So, I've been playing FS on and off for the last year or so and the amount of content is pretty staggering to say the least. I generally pick the researcher type because I personally enjoy the sandbox feel of no time limit. Thing is, when asked what the PC's gender should be, I generally fall back to my usual selection I make in most games of this sort...herm. I know it's not a starting selection, so I usually leave it on either with the intent to edit my save later into being a herm. Why I do this is the same reason I do so in many other games. Options, if I put it into one word. Most games don't strictly limit the PC to content based on starting gender, instead it's generally based on whether or not you have the needed equipment at the time, which is likely intentional since that could cause more problems than you'd think. Imagine playing something like FS or CoC or the likes and missing the chance to get into a scene a male PC can get into but a herm cannot strictly because a herm is not really the same thing as a male. While this is fine most of the time, it has made me wonder something. What real incentive do I have in picking male or female and sticking with that as opposed to gunning for herm so I can technically be either? Seems like in most games, this one included, being a herm gives you access to both male and female targeted scenes without having to pick one or the other, in fact being able to free choose either when ever I choose to.

On the one hand, I'm not saying I wish herms had a similar list of scenes or actions or events confined to them and them alone, much as a male PC's get gated from female events. I'm just wondering if there are in fact events or NPC's that would behave differently or something if my PC were a full blown male or female PC. Is my continued use of save editing to keep my characters mostly herm actually locking me out of certain scenes or interactions in the game? Or is it as I fear and making a female/male only character likely to produce the same results as it were in many other games...only less content access?
sacredferro

Re: PC Gender Question

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:21 pm

There are a few scenes that are exclusive to male or female characters. More that require you to be completely female, IIRC (which kinda makes up for the fact that female characters have fewer victory scenes than male and herm characters do). Off the top of my head, Diego (before you give him the milk), Bradford, the owner of the Pretty Kitty store in the mall, and the Sargent at the military base will all have sex with female characters only. That's not a comprehensive list, though. There are also some variant scenes that you'll only get a chance to trigger if you're fully male or fully female.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:47 pm

While I can't think of any specifics at the moment, there are some scenes out there that are herm-exclusive. That doesn't mean that there is nothing if the player is male or female, only that herms get something different and unique to them. Similarly, there's times where females or males get a unique scene while the other two get a different scene to them. Additionally, there's a lot of endings that are gender dependent, using split female/other or male/other, but some times it's split for all three. Usually those are only partial differences though.
TigerStripes

Postby wolfwing » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:13 am

Well the char I had added icarus at the start required a male body not sure if hermaphrodite works, but don't think so, I know you can switch to female later for a different set of scenes and such.

He also requires a predatory bird to unlock fighting blue chafinch in the zoo, so there are some charecters that have certain requirements to unlock, not sure how common, for me I tend to go all male or all female, as I like to experience all scenes from each perspective. And as mentioned some sex scenes require you to be male or female, and some sex scenes default to one gender when your hermaphrodite, yet there are two types of scenes. So like herphrodite gryphon it choses one gender from my experience if your hermaphrodite, but there are seperate scenes for male or female.
wolfwing

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:12 pm

You can unlock Icarus with the Pantherherm and Panthertaur infections now.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby sacredferro » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:04 pm

This is all good to hear, and thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad there are some differences in playthroughs where gender is concerned. I always seem to ask the question, "Why pick male or female if herms are a thing," in games like this. Weird, I guess it might sound, but my reasoning is that usually it equates to having access to scenes involving either male and female genders without needing to make two separate characters.
sacredferro

Return to General Chat