Updates?

Updates?

Postby twilighttiger » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Good evening.

I've had a few ideas for new content recently. One of them is interesting enough that I am willing to pay for it's inclusion in the game. With the infrequent number of changes made and the amount of material removed within the last few months, I'm curious, is new material still being accepted? Is the game still being updated or has it taken a left turn into obsoletion?
twilighttiger

Re: Updates?

Postby ElSterno » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Either the team is going nuts trying to get a less messed engine hammered out or they've all taken off to retire to the beaches of Montana.
ElSterno

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:12 am

A lot of our attention has been going towards work on the new engine, which continues to show good progress. I am also going to MFF this weekend, but will be resuming work on my writing queue upon my return.
TigerStripes

Postby ElSterno » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:07 am

So much for my Beaches of Montana theory.
ElSterno

Postby Tarmok » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:10 am

I'm kind a worried that we have seen NOTHING since halloween. I know you guys are working on the new engine, but no new stuff for almost 2 monthes?
Tarmok

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:36 am

Tarmok wrote:I'm kind a worried that we have seen NOTHING since halloween. I know you guys are working on the new engine, but no new stuff for almost 2 monthes?

Sorry about that. I've got a few things in my writing queue that I've started on, but nothing's in a presentable state as of yet. I need to try and tackle some of that before the Xmas holidays kick in. I know Wahn's got a couple of things he's just started working on as well.
TigerStripes

Postby Wahn » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:11 am

Tarmok wrote:I'm kind a worried that we have seen NOTHING since halloween. I know you guys are working on the new engine, but no new stuff for almost 2 monthes?

The problem is that the new engine really is essential for further progress. There is some sort of hard limit we reached in Inform, and currently new stuff has to bump out something old for it to compile. Thus we can be very thankful for BlueBishop and Stripes to spend their time on the new engine and doing awesome work with that.

As for myself, two crazy months at work in my regular jobs kept me pretty busy, but I'm just prepping some new scenes to put in the game and got a big commission lined up to write between the years.
Wahn

Postby lightningshifter » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:17 am

Wahn wrote:

The problem is that the new engine really is essential for further progress. There is some sort of hard limit we reached in Inform, and currently new stuff has to bump out something old for it to compile. Thus we can be very thankful for BlueBishop and Stripes to spend their time on the new engine and doing awesome work with that.

As for myself, two crazy months at work in my regular jobs kept me pretty busy, but I'm just prepping some new scenes to put in the game and got a big commission lined up to write between the years.

In a way, you guys can take it as a big accomplishment that you folks managed to build a game up that absolutely reached the upper limit of that engine. It means you pretty much got everything out of it you can get out of it. I do have a question though. Will the removed content find its way back into the new and improved game once the new engine is completed?
lightningshifter

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:51 am

I cannot promise that everything will make it back in. Like the first version of the game, it's going to be a growing process. But because we have lots of great pre-existing material to draw upon, we'll hopefully be able to expand at a much better rate and more coherently. Much of the current game I want to see imported - other bits I think best left on the cutting room floor. Also, if that Inform fix ever appears, our options will expand considerably.
TigerStripes

Postby lightningshifter » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:33 pm

TigerStripes wrote:I cannot promise that everything will make it back in. Like the first version of the game, it's going to be a growing process. But because we have lots of great pre-existing material to draw upon, we'll hopefully be able to expand at a much better rate and more coherently. Much of the current game I want to see imported - other bits I think best left on the cutting room floor. Also, if that Inform fix ever appears, our options will expand considerably.

I highly doubt that we'll be seeing anything substantial in the inform fixing department. Its an aging medium and I'm sure folks are moving on to newer and more versatile platforms. Its kinda a shame though. I actually grew quite fond of the inform engine. I have a pretty good idea of some of the content that would be more readily cut from the new engine. Some of that stuff was random and or incomplete. If the original authors of those content items are gone then I don't see a reason to leave something unfinished. It just creates a whole feeling that the game is incomplete. Fortunately there weren't a ton of those unfinished items. Most people probably wouldn't notice them gone unless they compared to the old wiki that is.
lightningshifter

Next

Return to General Chat