Requesting Help With Save Games

Requesting Help With Save Games

Postby Lycanthrokeith » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:05 am

Hello.
I've been playing with an older version of Flexible Survival (non-browser version; not sure of the Release #, but it's a couple years old). I recently downloaded what I believe is the newest version install package (Release 57 / Serial number 151005 / Inform 7 build 6L38 (I6/v6.33 lib 6/12N)). I'm having trouble with my saves from the old game.
Every time I try to Restore a save, I get "Restore Failed." I've noticed the saves are in a .sav format. I tried the new version through Glulxe, and noticed the saves register as .glksave. I tried changing the file extension, which does work.
I've also tried uninstalling the new version, and doing reinstalls of earlier versions I have saved. The earlier version is no longer giving me the "Restore Failed" issue. I would like to get the newer version working with my saves, if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
Lycanthrokeith

Re: Requesting Help With Save Games

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:55 am

Save games do not work between versions. This is a feature of Inform, the coding language we're using for the game. Inform is made for text adventure games and assumes that such games will be released as completed projects, not something that undergoes constant growth. This is why we cobbled together the saveword system, as it saves some of the key game data for restoration.
TigerStripes

Postby Lycanthrokeith » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 pm

TigerStripes wrote:Save games do not work between versions. This is a feature of Inform, the coding language we're using for the game. Inform is made for text adventure games and assumes that such games will be released as completed projects, not something that undergoes constant growth. This is why we cobbled together the saveword system, as it saves some of the key game data for restoration.

Ah, I see.

A possible idea: If I save a game under the old system using the Saveword method, then upgrade and input the Saveword, would it carry over and then be able to do just normal saves from there?

Thanks again for the help.
Lycanthrokeith

Postby Wahn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:57 am

The savewords transfer your progress from one version to the next, the regular saves you can use within each version of the game.
Wahn

Return to General Chat