Ammy by femtoAmpere

Ammy by femtoAmpere

Postby femtoAmpere » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 am

A lovely day there fellow apocalypse survivors!

Finally, (only) about one year after I came up first with it I'd like to introduce Ammy! She's a hermaphrodite equine character, waiting for you in the 'Topless Lounge' in the PALOMINO.
BE WARNED. There's a lot of 'cream'.
The extension adds a new room with another character in it. Nothing with a big story impact or huge questline, just another random survivor in the wastelands. I'm not really a good writer, but setting up the whole mechanics was a lot of fun! I hope this is usable~

Feel free to report any bugs, typos or general (unwanted :p) strangenesses and I'll try to take care of it. If anyone wants to write additional scenes - feel free to! I'll also add some more in the future maybe.
Ammy actually is a more or less personal character, so I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd ask me first if you want to do something very alternative to her. If you don't, I'll also not be mad - don't worry!
(One of the few things I actually really don't like for example is pregnancy and (almost) everything connected to it.. :S)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
Alright! Special thanks to Nuku of course for creating this wonderful game!
The .i7x file is right here!
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # #

Notes:
- I didn't test it completely! There are too many random options to get all of this done.
- The SYMBOLS_CHUNK_SIZE was changed to 45000 for my compiler, otherwise it ran out of memory for some reason.

# # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # #

cheers~ <3
And happy new year of the horse 2014!
Last edited by femtoAmpere on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
femtoAmpere

Re: Ammy by femtoAmpere

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm

femtoAmpere wrote:<Ammy>

Thanks for the new NPC. I took a quick glance, though I'll want to check out the content more... closely soon. ;)

I did spot a few minor things that I was wondering about:
- Ammy's starts out set as -1 for a few stats, but you don't seem to be making use of the '0' value, so why not start them at zero. It wouldn't really be an issue, but the saveword gets confused by negative numbers.
- You set the 'lastevent' and 'lastsexevent' variables to -1 as well, but the turn system starts at 240 and counts down from there, even going into the negatives. I'm not sure how you're using these variables, but I wanted to be sure you understood how turn counting works. Ask yourself what would happen if the player extended their game past 30 days and then sometime past day 30, they finally met up with Ammy.
- You mention wanting to add 'Ammy' to various flags and the Equinelist, but I see no 'Ammy' infection. Those are specifically for infections and don't control the appearance of NPCs. You don't need to add her if she's an NPC and doesn't infect the player with a specific infection. Also...
- I don't like infections specifically named after the NPC. As an example, if an 'Ammy' infected player gets pregnant, their kids may be part 'Ammy'. Since Ammy's a herm, if she knocks up the player, their offspring would have a similar problem. If you're actually going to make an 'Ammy' infection to impregnate and/or infect the player, please come up with a separate infection name to give her or use one of the existing equines.
- You mention the internet being working when giving out your FA page. Now, I know that's just a casual plug, but a very specific point of the P-Day event was that internet was taken out all across the nation, even in parts not directly under nanite bubbles. Now, I don't mind you dropping in a plug, but a little rephrasing will be needed... perhaps something more along the lines of "When this is all over, maybe you can go online and look me up."
- You've got something there about 'asking' Ammy stuff. Have you tested this? Also, since other NPCs in the game don't work this way, is there something to prompt players to do so? Is this done via an Inform mechanic we don't use or did you make one to do it?
TigerStripes

Postby femtoAmpere » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Oh my, glad to hear there only are minor issues so far! Nyehehee~

- Initialisations! The initialisation with -1 just is an outcome of me playing around with the various if-statements in order to get my logic working there. There shouldn't be any problems by switching them to '0'!
And to be honest, I still don't know which events exactly trigger the end of a turn, however, the two event variables ('lastevent') just stop the player from doing everything you can do with her at once and only work with a statement somewhere like
Code: Select all
if lastevent of Ammy is not turns:
   now lastevent of Ammy is turns;
   [ DO SOMETHING ]
else
   [ DON'T DO SOMETHING ]

In fact I used the -1 exactly because I was curious what would happen if a number gets negative. If Inform even makes a difference between signed and unsigned integer numbers and all..

- The infections! I didn't really want to do a new infection type, nor I plan to include any kind of pregnancy involving her, so I was just using the infect ".."; command from already existing critters. So basically transformation yes, but pregnancy no. I made a little function that will choose a random one from a few equine infections, including the unicorn (from Harold).. which appears to fit most.
The flags I wanted to add.. are there because if the player bans hermaphrodites or equines, I thought it might be a good idea to remove Ammy as well then, even if she's a NPC instead of a random critter.

- Storyline error! Yes, now that you say it I remember.. it's said at the very start of the game that the internet was taken down, right? I'm sorry! I shall reshape or remove it to make it compatible with your universe!

- The 'ask Ammy about DEBUG, DEBUG_INFECTME, taking off bra, take off bra' things worked really fine for me. I used this a lot for.. debug already as you see. In fact I was not including any other extension than the whole FS tree from github and the standard ones that came with Inform7. I also was using WinGit1.32
It actually should be a usual mechanic (http://inform7.com/learn/man/Rex75.html)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
EDIT: Already fixed and updated the file for those few little issues!
femtoAmpere

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks for dealing with those so promptly.
- If you want those variables so the player can't do it every turn, then set the initial value to 250 (which is above the starting turn value of 240) and so will never match.
- I saw the randomized infection subroutine, but wasn't sure if you were also planning an infection. I just realized that your random infection subroutine comes with a problem. If someone bans certain categories, those infections will not be there. You'll need to have your subroutine be able to account for that possibility.
- Banning doesn't remove NPCs from locations in the game. It can only remove monsters and close situations (events). Since events are typically used to gather NPCs, a ban closing the situation prevents the NPC. In this case, that won't happen.
TigerStripes

Postby femtoAmpere » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:35 am

I'm afraid the maximum turns could change some time, so this (very low chance of a bug, only appearing if it'd really be exactly the turn of initialisation when you meet her the first time) would still be possible. So I initialized those values with even higher numbers now.

The infection is called at random mostly anyway! So it doesn't matter if there's a slightly smaller or higher chance to trigger one if options are banned.

And I see the problem with the banning now. I thought I could also remove an NPC with it *shrugs*. I actually never used this in-game so I didn't know better. But after all you can decide what you want to do with Ammy instead of getting jumped on by, like the random monsters outside, right? I just removed this again.
femtoAmpere

Postby TigerStripes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:37 pm

That number won't change, as the NPCs have their lastfuck timer counter set accordingly as well. Should we want to extend the length of play, we just bump back the value of the game over timer into negative numbers.

The issue with the banning is that the infection won't be there for the player to receive. This could cause the game to assign a completely different infection upon the player or no infection at all (not 100% sure).
TigerStripes

Postby femtoAmpere » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:21 am

In my compiled file simply nothing happens if a banned infection is called.
But if you want it to be 100% safe I can ban the whole infection command if one of the possible infections is banned? Is there maybe a variable I can use? (something like 'if furrybanned is true:')

I think I also just sent the file into the FS github, I hope that' okay (and that it actually worked).
femtoAmpere

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 am

femtoAmpere wrote:In my compiled file simply nothing happens if a banned infection is called.
But if you want it to be 100% safe I can ban the whole infection command if one of the possible infections is banned? Is there maybe a variable I can use? (something like 'if furrybanned is true:')

I saw you put through the pull request. Much appreciated. Remind me later and I'll look into tweaking your infection system to only select from unbanned options. If furry is banned, then they'd all be gone, but if it's a gender restriction, then some would remain.
TigerStripes

Postby femtoAmpere » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:12 am

Lovely! Thanks a lot!! :>

And yes, if 'furry' tag is banned all would be gone. However, if one would want to remove only a few again according to the banning system the only option I see there now is to manually add some
Code: Select all
unless (furry is banned) or (male is banned) or (equines are banned) ... :
   infect "...";
for every single infection! And that would be not very elegant, would it?
femtoAmpere

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 am

femtoAmpere wrote:<random infection w/banning>

I'll be sending a fix for this shortly. Also, I've adjusted your 'instead of sniffing...' to proper 'the scent of' values.
TigerStripes

Next

Return to Dev Chat