Filling up the wiki

Filling up the wiki

Postby lilred » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:45 pm

I am working on trying to fill in some wiki slots and I just finished my first NPC page but when I log into my wiki account on this wiki's page it says account doesn’t exist. It thought maybe it was just a weird glitch and tried to add the stuff without logging in and it said I didn’t have the permission to edit. Does anyone know what I’m possibly doing wrong?
Last edited by lilred on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An alpha howls to the moon for guidance. She answers by sending him the first red, the original delta of the pack.
lilred

Re: Logging into wiki help

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Did you try creating an account for the FS wiki?
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby lilred » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm

I tried to look for something seperate like that but i couldnt ill double check cuz thats gotts be it and when i find im prolly gonna feel very silly to lol
An alpha howls to the moon for guidance. She answers by sending him the first red, the original delta of the pack.
lilred

Postby lilred » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 pm

ok so I was looking to make an account on the wiki and the only place I could find to do that was in the tools tab. I clicked special pages scroled down to the log in/ create an account section. clicked create an account and it popped up a message "permission error You do not have permission to create this user account, for the following reason: The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Bots, Administrators." was I at least going in the right direction?
lilred

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:28 pm

A note was added to the Wiki recently. Apparently we had a rash of spam postings, so you now need to sign up for the Wiki via the Multiplayer.

This wiki is set up to be edited by any registered user, but to bet registered, a user must going the game's MUCK, described below. After creating a character, use the command +wiki/create to start the process toward being a registered user!

This does prove to be a bit of added hassle for Single-Player individuals wanting to help with that portion of the Wiki. We'll have to ping Nuku on that when he gets back.
TigerStripes

Postby lilred » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanx for the help stripes :D I finally created the account and and added the NPC info to the wiki page. If anyone wants to check it out its steven, you can see what was added by clicking on his personal page. I hope you guys will and tell me what you think. I am also gonna be working on more characters so if their are any that you guys would like added to the top of the pile so to speak please let me know. :D
lilred

Re: Filling up the wiki

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:02 am

The format is interesting. I'm not sure I 100% agree with the setup, but one should not look a gift Steven in the mouth. (Ha ha! I am so witty.) Actually, it's pretty good for the most part, though there's some typos and stuff to be fixed eventually. I made some small tweaks and did a bit of digging around in the code history. Apparently there were some pretty fundamental changes made to the entry system long and ever ago that I'd not noticed or forgotten. I've made some small corrections to your info in regards to that and his infection. I will also be making a minor tweak to the entry conditions, making mention that he slips a raincoat over you to help conceal your changes if you're infected, but if you're above normal human size, tiny-sized or tauric, it's too much to hide and you'll have to come back. These forms wouldn't pass the normal lists anyhow, so it's only limiting the bribed entry option and otherwise just provides some added descriptive text.

Thanks for the help.
TigerStripes

Postby lilred » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:26 am

What would you change in the setup? It’s my first wiki entry so i'm still learning :lol: . Besides if I was going to work on a lot of stuff on there and when i’m done I messed something up that would kind of suck. It’s better to have a strong build from the start any who hehe, I wasn’t really sure where to go with it since when I started it only had an in game description of him as human. Any tips would be appreciated. :D
lilred

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:39 pm

I find having the short descriptions for the sections a little odd, but it's not a major concern. It's just different.
The various sub-sections you've chosen cover things fairly well, though I expect they won't really suit all NPCs or their order will need to be shuffled around for them.
I can see the description section getting a little complicated for a couple of NPCs who go through several changes or even have variations within those states. Examples would include Sam (having 4 different forms) and Alexandra (3 while 'monster', bad girl w/numerous sub-variations and pregnant state and good girl form).
For most other NPCs, the 'Effects on Inventory' (misspelled) would either contain nothing or just cover info mentioned in other parts. It's less redundant with Steven, consolidating a few disparate items.

But like I said last time, it's not what I would have done, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. It's certainly more thorough, which is a good thing. I doubt I'd've gone into that much detail.
TigerStripes

Postby lilred » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Ok I changed up the order of some of the topics so the most important ones come first. That way people won’t have to read through the “extra” sections to get to the main content sections. I put the description of each section in italics, however I only put them there to help the reader so if they really don’t look right I can easily fix it hehe. As to the sections not applying to every NPC, no section would be used on a character that they don’t need. For example the effect on inventory sections main use was meant for characters that trading is involved with.
I’m glad for the help on making this post perfect it makes it much easier to form standard template. Obviously certain pages would have a little more or a little less to them, but a base of comparison would make it easier to edit things without having to bother you guys to check every post lol.
lilred

Return to General Chat