All the Saves

All the Saves

Postby nukuv » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:12 pm

So, a few days back, I added inventory saving. How's it working? Very little feedback so far. If this works, we could consider saving a lot more things, like perks.
nukuv
Site Admin

Re: All the Saves

Postby millyrainbow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 am

First. I use the downloaded version, not the browser version. (i lieks my downloads)

transfering an old save (a few versions before the update that added inventory saves) to the latest only carried over the weapon i was wielding (which was the Organi Rod)
This was done by reciting, since it wouldnt register the load game feature from the older save. It looks like they have a different bank that they pull from.

However, using the "load game" feature (current version to current version, but different characters) got me my entire inventory. :3

btw is undo supposed to do anything anymore?
millyrainbow

Postby nukuv » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:39 am

Undo is sketchy. It seems some interpreters use it well, and others just scream in mortal agony.

No recite code is given for inventory. It's just stored in a file, which is why reciting gets no inventory.

Glad it worked though!
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby Wahn » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:26 am

Hm, I run FS with WinGlulxe as interpreter and don't have any problems with undo. Rolls back the needed turns as it's supposed to, without fail. I think I read that Gargoyle has some problems with that...
Wahn

Postby millyrainbow » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:48 pm

thnx you two 8D

next update ill try testing out the cross version loading, and see how that all works. c:
millyrainbow

Postby millyrainbow » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 pm

millyrainbow wrote:thnx you two 8D

next update ill try testing out the cross version loading, and see how that all works. c:

sorry for doublepost, but i wanted to make sure you got the heads up. the cross version loading works fine. just moved to the newest version today and theres all my lovely inventory. : D

now if only save states were cross compatible :/
then again if this keeps up xD i may just use the saveword function from now on.
millyrainbow

Postby nukuv » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:58 am

That's part of the idea, make saveword(file)s good enough that no one misses save states too much.

What else would you need saved?
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby Firebug » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:26 am

I find that in each new version my save files and save words don't work with the downloaded version :/
Firebug

Postby Wahn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:53 am

Firebug wrote:I find that in each new version my save files and save words don't work with the downloaded version :/

Yes, that's an unfortunate incompatibility inherent in Inform games - which is why Nuku built a secondary save system, the 'savewords', to transfer your progress to new game versions. If you're playing the offline version, typing "saveword" will display the 3 parts of your saveword, while at the same time files will be generated into which those (and since the last update your inventory too) will be written. After switching to a new version, type "load game" to automatically restore the content of the files, or "recite" saveword part 1, 2 and 3 to Trixie to do it manually.
Wahn

Postby millyrainbow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 pm

nukuv wrote:That's part of the idea, make saveword(file)s good enough that no one misses save states too much.

What else would you need saved?

savestates save everything. so...
everything possible.

Though i dont mind having to set all the perks and such upon load (it would be nice to not have too, but it lets me choose what i want again anyway, so im not complaining much) and score and credits are just a minor thing... and unless someones grinding to 20000 days left or something, the amount of days doesnt matter.

Honestly though, if you could figure out how to use savestates through browser version, and make them cross compatible with each version, it would probably be easier that way. I dont think savewords will be able to do anything better than savestates.
millyrainbow

Next

Return to Dev Chat