New Writer Checkin

Re: New Writer Checkin

Postby NocturneWolf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi there! I think I mentioned this topic in another discussion on the site, so I figured I'd throw myself out there to offer some of my own skills to the game. ;3 I've been a hobbyist furry writer for some years now, along with getting work as a web developer with skills in Java, JS, HTML/CSS, and C++, among a few other things. I never directly worked with Inform 7 myself, but I have been looking through the FS codebase on my spare time and am glad to learn it.

As for my interests, there are indeed a handful of themes and ideas I generally enjoy exploring, but I'm glad to branch out into other topics as needed (provided they're not out of my limits, as I'll describe below). Things I very much enjoy are:
> Unbirthing and vore of nearly all sorts (cock vore in particular is a favorite~)
> Transformation into liquids/goo, objects/body parts, and ferals
> Hyper-themed things, sometimes up to exaggerated degrees
> Entrapment, objectification or possessive-themed things
> Most genders and species, whether that be a classic anthro or a bizarre mutant monster of some sort
> Larger, more muscled dominants

And things I generally can't write or delve into very well:
> Most gore/blood oriented things
> Over-the-top violence
> Oviposition (yeah, I know, sorry. >.>)
> Underage submissives

Hopefully that doesn't paint me as a bit too restrictive in the context of the game's setting hehe, and I'm certainly glad to avoid any topics that any of you would prefer I keep out of the game. On that note as well, I was wondering if there was any particular content currently in the game that could use some bolstering, such as vore/unbirthing or whatnot, as I'd be glad to put my energy into that kind of thing myself. Do let me know if there are any other concerns you guys might have before I go whole-hog into this, and I'll start ping-ponging ideas back to you guys once I get an all-clear. Thanks!
NocturneWolf

Postby Wahn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:59 pm

qwertyman20 wrote:Another question I'd like to ask is how you'd like us to upload or send you the files. Is a post acceptable, or is there some way to package it?

Eventually, we'll get a "Git setup" and "Inform setup" tutorial back up and you can push your files directly into the hub to be included in the game. Until that time, please make your own thread in the Dev section here and post your code, to allow checking it out and discuss.

Code: Select all
-> [code] <- Using these code tags, to preserve indentations -> [/code] <-
Wahn

Postby Wahn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 pm

NocturneWolf wrote:Hi there! I think I mentioned this topic in another discussion on the site, so I figured I'd throw myself out there to offer some of my own skills to the game. ;3 I've been a hobbyist furry writer for some years now, along with getting work as a web developer with skills in Java, JS, HTML/CSS, and C++, among a few other things. I never directly worked with Inform 7 myself, but I have been looking through the FS codebase on my spare time and am glad to learn it.

As for my interests, there are indeed a handful of themes and ideas I generally enjoy exploring, but I'm glad to branch out into other topics as needed (provided they're not out of my limits, as I'll describe below). Things I very much enjoy are:
> Unbirthing and vore of nearly all sorts (cock vore in particular is a favorite~)
> Transformation into liquids/goo, objects/body parts, and ferals
> Hyper-themed things, sometimes up to exaggerated degrees
> Entrapment, objectification or possessive-themed things
> Most genders and species, whether that be a classic anthro or a bizarre mutant monster of some sort
> Larger, more muscled dominants

And things I generally can't write or delve into very well:
> Most gore/blood oriented things
> Over-the-top violence
> Oviposition (yeah, I know, sorry. >.>)
> Underage submissives

Hopefully that doesn't paint me as a bit too restrictive in the context of the game's setting hehe, and I'm certainly glad to avoid any topics that any of you would prefer I keep out of the game. On that note as well, I was wondering if there was any particular content currently in the game that could use some bolstering, such as vore/unbirthing or whatnot, as I'd be glad to put my energy into that kind of thing myself. Do let me know if there are any other concerns you guys might have before I go whole-hog into this, and I'll start ping-ponging ideas back to you guys once I get an all-clear. Thanks!

It's absolutely no problem if you have some things you like a lot and others you are so-so about it. I don't think there is anyone who flat out likes everything that's possible to do in FS. Just write what interests you and with all kinds of people joining in on the writer side, we'll have fun for everyone.

One region that could use some attention is the farm - it was meant to hold all kinds of npcs in feral and anthro shapes, with a general farm animal/feral theme. The writer who planned to support me on this vanished, so it's still well behind that goal. So if it's ferals you want, go for it. There are plenty of rooms to fill with npcs you wanna do - a whole meadow, the barn, hayloft, ... and even rooms that do have people already in it can hold more - or we just expand into another. Want a chicken coop with anthro hens whom you can knock up with lots of eggs? We can do that.

But this is just one example - just make your own thread, present your ideas and we can talk about em and how and where they fit well.
Wahn

Postby fizzymcbon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:17 am

Hello, My name is fizzymcbon and I don't know anything about coding. I do however posses a strong grasp of the English language. I am skilled at writing, and would like to write additional victory/loss scenes to feral creatures. I don't know if coding skills are required, but I am just posting if whether I could be of any assistance. My FA account is fizzymcbon.

Thank you.
fizzymcbon

Postby Wahn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:53 am

fizzymcbon wrote:Hello, My name is fizzymcbon and I don't know anything about coding. I do however posses a strong grasp of the English language. I am skilled at writing, and would like to write additional victory/loss scenes to feral creatures. I don't know if coding skills are required, but I am just posting if whether I could be of any assistance. My FA account is fizzymcbon.

Thank you.

Inform coding is relatively simple, have a look at the template file fore new creatures as an example. You can pretty much just fill in your own stuff. Should there be any problems in getting something done or open questions, just say so, we can help.

Anything specific that you've got ideas for? Writing a new infection into the template is a good way to start and show your skill, alternatively I could help you set up a feral npc on the farm (the intended zone for feral fun) you can provide sexy scenes for.

If you wanna lay out your ideas/plans in some more detail, please open up a new thread here in the dev section for yourself so we can discuss things there.
Wahn

Postby elven » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:54 am

To be able to open up project in Inform 7 you need to:
1) Start Inform 7 and create some project. Then exit programm.
2) In code that was downloaded from github find Inform\story.ni. Copy it into C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Inform 7\NAME_OF_YOUR_PROJECT\Source* Replace the one that is already there.
3) Put all folders of downloaded code except Inform into C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Inform\Extensions*
4) Run Inform and open project that you created in the first step.

* This path is for Windows7

To add your own code
1)In Inform press File\New Extension
2) Do some coding and save afterwards
3) In Inform press File\Install Extension, and find the file you created in 1 and 2 step
elven

Postby Druide » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Heyo, I'm interested in creating new content. I have some knowledge of coding, though not with the program you use. I have many different ideas to bring to the table ranging from humanoid to quadruped animals. I have little interest in doing vore or other harder sexual stuff, but I can always research and give it a try.
Druide

Postby Wahn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Druide wrote:Heyo, I'm interested in creating new content. I have some knowledge of coding, though not with the program you use. I have many different ideas to bring to the table ranging from humanoid to quadruped animals. I have little interest in doing vore or other harder sexual stuff, but I can always research and give it a try.

Sure thing, welcome anoard. There is no need to do anything you don`t feel comfortable with. Just write what you want for yourself and others to enjoy.

If you already have some specific ideas, just make your own thread in the dev section write a quick overview and we can have a look, discuss and give tips.
Wahn

Postby Wahn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 pm

elven wrote:To be able to open up project in Inform 7 you need to:
1) Start Inform 7 and create some project. Then exit programm.
2) In code that was downloaded from github find Inform\story.ni. Copy it into C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Inform 7\NAME_OF_YOUR_PROJECT\Source* Replace the one that is already there.
3) Put all folders of downloaded code except Inform into C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Inform\Extensions*
4) Run Inform and open project that you created in the first step.

* This path is for Windows7

To add your own code
1)In Inform press File\New Extension
2) Do some coding and save afterwards
3) In Inform press File\Install Extension, and find the file you created in 1 and 2 step

Thanks, this is very helpful. I have to admit that I forgot that we lost the old setup guides with the last forum. Thought they were brought over at some point...

By the way: If you already have some specific ideas for your contribuion, just make your own thread in the dev section and write a quick overview and we can have a look, discuss and give tips.
Last edited by Wahn on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wahn

Postby TwitchFox » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Hello there! I'm very interested in trying my hand at writing and coding some things for this game! I don't know much of anything about coding, however I have the right mindset for learning it. A few month ago I started working on a wiki for an MMORPG that isn't very popular. I simply learned the required HTML to help out the wiki on my own, just by looking up what I needed online and using trial and error, all in a short amount of time.. My point is, even though I know very little about Inform 7, I'm able to learn, analyze and retain information such as coding very easily and should be able to help write some scenes as long as someone is willing to help me learn what code I need.

Furthermore, English is my primary language and I'm fluent in it, even more so than many other people I meet. I've always been very interested in the English language, piecing words together to create the perfect flow and form. In fact, I recently took a Grammar and Composition class taught by a very strict professor and was one of the few to actually pass his class, even more so with a high grade. I've written a few short stories with sexual content between anthropomorphic animals but am neglected to feel compelled to write anything of considerable length. Attempting such simply leads to starting one day and writing for several hours only to never feel like going back to it again at a later date. That is why a project like this would work really well for me, because I can work on one small piece rather quickly and then finish it and move onto the next before I have a chance to lose interest!

I'd really like to help with Flexible Survival content, if you'd be willing to let me. If so, I think it would work best if someone could tell me what actually needs content and then have me work on that. I'm not very good at being proactive and seeking out my own assignments, but once I'm set on the path, I tend to work well on my own until what I'm working on is finished, then being requested to work on the next thing.

As to what I would enjoy writing for Flexible Survival, I mostly prefer M/M and things I'm willing to write about include domination/submission, master/pet, feral, furry, non-consensual, tentacles, size difference, light-medium cum inflation, and other things of that nature. Unfortunately, I will not write gore, castration or any other form of mutilation, unbirthing or any sort of vore, or anything considered "icky" by a large amount of people such as watersports, scat, vomit or anything like that. I don't have anything against people who enjoy that kind of stuff but I'm of a weaker stomach and that isn't something I can handle. If there is something that needs content and doesn't fit into ant of those themes listed, please feel free to ask. The worse I will do I decline. xD

So what do you think? Would someone be willing to work with me to help you guys get some more content out there? I'm very interested in giving it a try!
TwitchFox

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Chat