FS graphics

FS graphics

Postby natani » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:20 am

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but where can I find the images so I can start playing around with the code again.
natani

Re: FS graphics

Postby nukuv » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 am

You send images to me to upload into the game. Folks who have done a lot of editing in the past have direct access to the google drive we use as a communal dumping ground of graphics.
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby soul4hdwn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 am

if the images are somewhere else, must be why i still see the placeholders even when graphics set to on. not important but i WAS confused a bit when it was mentioned that graphics was texting and added at same time.
soul4hdwn

Postby nukuv » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 am

If you see placeholder, you are playing online? Are you? Graphics won't show up through the web engine.
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby soul4hdwn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 pm

in chrome, firefox, or internet explorer. graphics are only a "[picture number # here]". chrome has its own issue that it won't try to update the game even if i purge refresh via ctrl f5 or shift f5. i don't download the game, i play within the blog.
soul4hdwn

Postby nukuv » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Right, then you will never see graphics, unless the maker of Quixe adds graphics support(I tried bribing him, seriously).
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby hateorade » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 am

I'd like to echo Natani's original question. I've done some very minor editing to the Flexible Survival code in the past, and I've been able to compile and play the game (after some tinkering with Inform settings). If I try to do so now, I run into errors - the compiler wants images that it didn't previously need (such as "title.png", "FS_AlphaHusky.jpg", etc). The Github repository does not seem to include these image files.

It might be possible to extract the images from the official (downloadable) gblorb file, but I don't know how to do so. Amateur developers can create "placeholder" images with the appropriate filenames in order to satisfy the compiler (that's what I did, and the game seems to compile and run without complications). If there's some way of obtaining the actual files then that would be ideal - perhaps read-only access to the Google Drive mentioned by nukuv, or a downloadable .zip file containing the basic image-set.

Alternatively - is there a particular flag or switch in Story.ni that amateur developers can employ? Something along the lines of "I don't have the image files; I don't intend to play with graphics; please disable all such features and don't complain about missing files."
hateorade

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 am

I've not needed the image files themselves when doing test compiles (using 'Go') within Inform. Granted, the images don't show up in that case, but it doesn't prevent the tweaking and testing of the game itself.
TigerStripes

Postby nukuv » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 am

If you try to package it up, then it will definitely complain as it tries to grab the graphics and mash them all up together into one file for sending to your friends.

Try just using the built-in test function.
nukuv
Site Admin

Return to Dev Chat