Suggestions Wanted

Re: Suggestions Wanted

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am

A monster that traps you in the folds of his fat or his pubic hair is more than a little extreme, content wise. Something like that would need to be gated, IMO.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby Wildhog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Yeah, I figured as much. My interest doesn't exactly coincide with most I suppose. XD
Wildhog

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Here's something I've been thinking about for a while.

We need a new mystic type NPC. Nermine is, honestly, getting overused since she's involved in so many quests. Getting a different NPC who can handle arcane stuff is becoming increasingly a needed thing, IMO. Could be that the Voodoo Gecko or Magic Drake get bumped up to NPC status, or a new NPC could be created, but having a different NPC who will offer services would be a good thing.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:<new mystic NPC>

This is an intriguing idea. I'm not sure if I'd want to re-purpose either the Voodoo Geckos or the Magic Drake for this, though using one of them for a one-time situation that would be in theme with them might be possible. The victorious player could ask them after the fight for some info they need, possibly even needing to 'pump' them for the answers. Having some other NPC deal with some of these situations would be good though. Nermine's conversation tree is very complex because of all the possible quests. Having another person available to handle some of any new magic-related problems would help keep things from getting completely out of hand. I'm not keen on making someone 'more powerful' than Nermine to provide answers to things beyond her ability to deal with. On the other hand, she's in the business of providing mystical items and assistance that people need - for a price. Because of this, one would think she's more than able to provide some kind of help for any lesser problems.

Thinking it over, what about a 'psychic/palm reader' type character, able to provide help through 'divination' and/or 'talking to the spirits'? It could be a hoax or a sham, possibly they're just crazy, or maybe they do have some spiritual power/sense. I'll have to ponder the matter for a while. Maybe I can come up with something the next time we're in need of a magical solution.

Regardless, I doubt Nermine would be pleased to have someone cutting in on her business.
TigerStripes

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 pm

I wasn't thinking about having a new character who was stronger than Nermine so much as just reducing the creep regarding her position in the game's story: at present she's probably the single most influential NPC in the game due to how many quests are tied to her. A kooky (or kinky) palm reader of fortune teller would be interesting.

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby xXHepCatXx » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:30 am

Pet idea! So, okay...
Heather is a geneticist experimenting with gene-splicing as a method of breeding her own line of designer pets. Her research was going no where, that is until the outbreak when she quickly discover the effects of the nanites and their ability to not only change a host but also combine different animal traits to create functional hybrids. At which point she goes a little overboard testing samples on herself, changing herself into her idea of the Perfect pet, a canine(border collie)\bovine hybrid, or a cowdog. Mostly just a regular border collie with several cow additions (stubby horns, milky udder, ect.) Being more hyperactive as a border collie, she spastically decides to jump to the next couple phases of her plan. And by joining the player, she plans on focus testing herself as a pet as well as get the players assistance in mass producing cowdogs. Something which will probably require a fair number of fertility pills.
xXHepCatXx

Postby Samsquatch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:52 am

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:<new mystic NPC>

Here's the elephant in the room that no one's addressing. FS has no overarching story or narrative. It is a collection of various people's sexual fetishes represented by the various NPCs in the game and paid for by people who want their fetish represented. I don't mean this in a bad way. It's just a fact. FS is a collection of sexual fetishes.

Nermine's important as an NPC has grown out of a desire from the writers to try to establish some sort of order to the chaos of sex that exists in FS. The writers want a narrative where none exists and Nermine is the outlet through which that is projected. She is an NPC with power over they mystical in the same way that Zephyr and Trevor labs have power over the technological. When someone commissions magical content, it's natural that Nermine becomes involved because she has become the defacto arbiter of magic.

Is this a problem? Possibly, but not necessarily. The issue really comes down to the nature of the game itself. The setting for the game is, by design, vague. It allows for a lot. The issue is that, through commissions and various writers, something more concrete has been called for. As far as i'm aware, there's no FS bible. Establishing a concrete story is, in some ways, against the best interests of the game. It's paid for by people who commission content. Establishing a canon story is in many ways counterproductive because it will necessarily limit the stories people can commission and thus, pay for.

Personally, i'm against the introduction of an additional "mystical" npc. I like my stories to have some rhyme and reason to them. The introduction of an additional mystic NPC represents a Kludge even greater than Nermine. It doesn't address the issue that there's no real framework established in the story for magic, or anything else for that matter. I may be a jerk for saying this, but i'd rather see some sort of attempt to draw all of the various content in the game together rather than further expansions in random directions.

At some point, I think that's a decision the writers will need to make. As it stands, there hasn't been any "meaningful" progress toward the development of the setting for a year or more. There has been plenty of "lateral" development, with new NPCs and story lines, but little "vertical" development expanding existing plot lines or characters (there are, of course, exceptions, Alexandra being one). I mean, again, i'm all for hot sexual content. At the same time, however, it's not like there's a shortage of that on the internet. I'm attracted, in part, to the setting and story. I feel like that's been neglected, and that the "overuse" of Nermine is a symptom of the lack of development on that front.

I might be wrong about all this. I don't want to step on anyone's feelings. I'm just expressing my opinions as someone who has played a fair bit of FS and read way too much of the code. My opinions are based on what i've gleamed from that knowledge. If there's a greater plan at work, I hope I have made it eminently clear that it is not obvious to us "consumers". In any case, it's not like I don't enjoy the game; It's far from it. I'd just like to see some effort made to sanitize all the various content so that all the various characters, npcs and plots actually work with each other.
Samsquatch

Postby Yith » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Always wanted to push coleen towards herm or full male alpha husky on her dominant path, also, wouldn't be adverse towards sarah being pushed towards herm either. Also Carl when in his submissive mode shouldnt wear clothing...
What the Alpha says, I do.
Yith

Postby Wahn » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:09 am

Samsquatch wrote:Stuff.

Oh, there's existing character development laid out for lots of chars, at least on my end. Once I do have two functional hands again, expect additional content for Brutus+David, Rane, Hayato, Eric, Sonya, Nermine, Gabriel, the orcs and gorillas.Most of my comms are expanding on existing content these days, its just that I've been out of commission the last few weeks.
Wahn

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Samsquatch wrote:<feedback>

Well, part of it is a matter of how you look at it. For me, FS has always been a place of possibilities. There are a large number of adventures the player could have during their time trying to survive in the city and those adventures could end in a few or even many different ways, even if it's just succumbing or surviving. Any given playthrough is one character's tale through that crazy city and, during that time, they save a few people, have a quest or two and come out of it changed to some degree. I know a lot of players like to do everything on a playthrough (or at least everything they like) and continue to expand using the save and the saveword systems. That's a perfectly valid way to play the game. But at its heart, FS is that 30-day, 240-turn game in which you have a few adventures in the city before you're rescued (if you can even make it that far).

It's unfair to say that there's not been development of the setting, as a lot of that is really the purview of the multiplayer game. That's where there is an ongoing story of the world of FS evolving over the first few years after the outbreak. The single-player takes place "shortly" (vaguely anywhere from a few days or couple of months) after the initial outbreak occurred and happens over the course of a month. A lot of the worldbuilding and investigation/fallout of the nanite infection is explored beyond the scope of the singleplayer game. There are rules to how things work, unspoken explanations for some of the stuff going on and guidelines (roughly) for what can and cannot occur. Now, we've taken more liberties with these in the single-player game, in part because we didn't always know these rules when making stuff back in the early days and occasionally to allow for some material to work for our game. We do try to stick a little closer to those rules and that structure, even if you as a player don't see it in the game. Nuku was also running a Q&A forum for a while that answered a bunch of gameworld questions - not sure if that's still up or still running.

Multiplayer and Nuku's stories also go more in depth about magic, magical beings and otherworldly powers beyond what the player is seeing here. In singleplayer, the player's caught up in a topsy-turvy world and Nermine's currently our only anchor for a source for mystical guidance. The player has little time to even come to grips with the fact that magic now exists in the world and that there may or may not be other mystical worlds beyond ours. It's a lot to take in and they have little chance to cope with this on their own. But putting everything on Nermine can get cumbersome, especially for those players trying to do everything in one game. Having another character to help with a couple of these quests would allow for more diversity in how the material is presented. For example, had the 'psychic/palm reader' NPC existed when I was making the Wereraptor quest, they would have been a better person to connect that quest onto (for the gypsy-curse connotations). Their initial response would've been similar to Nermine's and the steps would have been more or less the same, but the delivery and setup would have been different.

I will add that I do have some story ideas for the continuation of the Main Storyline Quest / Hospital Quest which I may someday get back to work on and this will continue to advance the material therein. This includes plans for a finale to that story arc which I hope will be satisfying while not breaking the FS universe. There's also plans in the work to expand and continue the stories of several characters out there as well as have more interactions (both story and sexual) for NPCs out there.

'Sanitizing' the existing material to somehow 'work with each other' is neither realistic or beneficial - you'd be demolishing content wholesale to try and build connections everywhere, forcing players to take the 'collect everything in one game' playthrough so they can see all the content. I'll readily admit that there are some characters and material that doesn't really work or even breaks canon (such as Omio's), but I honestly don't want to go through the at least 50+ hours of labour to deal with them. And since I know there are players who enjoy that material and its creators spent a lot of time and effort on it, I have opted to leave it in rather than remove it from the game.
TigerStripes

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat