Suggestions Wanted

Re: Suggestions Wanted

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:16 am

twilighttiger wrote:<test subject scene suggestion>

As I understand it (though Nuku may clarify otherwise on some details):
The nanite release and activation was done in an uncontrolled manner and with their code incomplete and corrupted. When the nanites first got turned on, a lot of people died from the sudden shock - especially those very old, very young or otherwise of weak health. This is part of why the city feels so deserted, even with the rampant breeding. Almost everyone entering the area of a nanite bubble more slowly don't suffer this shock. I believe nanites outside of a nanite bubble can still perform many of their more basic tasks, including general body maintenance.

Anyone entering the area in and around the city is already infested with nanites. They're everywhere: the smoggy air, the water, the dust... They get into your system and start working away, physically enhancing and healing the person - this is one of the main functions they were designed to do and they do it well. This means that a cancer patient or otherwise terminally ill person would find themselves becoming healed as they enter the area - though I expect very ill people still have a chance of dying from the shock as the nanites start trying to do their work.

The increased lust and enhanced libido are among the side effects of their presence, regardless of whether the person seems outwardly 'infected'. Even the tendency to think that ideas involving sex are good ideas that we see in 'non-infected' people is the result of their activity. This is why the player, uninfected NPCs and the soldiers have got sex on the brains as much as they do and go along so readily with seemingly foolish, risky or downright dangerous activities that involve something sexual. Many of the infections out there make this effect worse, but everyone in the nanite bubble feels this to some degree.

The infections come when the nanites a person carries pick up a new 'status state' from another infection source. These new nanites enter a person's system and tell some (or all) of the nanites there to change over to running on its protocol set. Players losing to a creature result in some of their nanites 'deciding' that the winning creature is 'stronger', and so are swapped to that 'infection' to help 'improve' the player. The reverse of this applies when the player wins a fight - most victory sex does not result in player infection, even if they get cum on or into, because the player has been deemed 'stronger' and so getting infected would not 'improve' the player. Similarly, someone ingesting or otherwise absorbing nanites from an infection source (e.g.: cum puddles, infectious fur, etc.) gets a batch of nanites entering them that direct their current nanites to 'swap orders'. It is to be noted that people react differently to the nanite infection and how it progresses in them (see the variations in NPC infection rates/methods), so most creatures can be imagined to be 'locked' enough in their current infection that a single loss won't change them enough before their existing strain can reassert itself. Repeated infection, especially during a short time span, will overcome this in most cases though.

All of this explanation is a roundabout way of saying that your idea is sound in general and would be a realistic approach for scientists/researchers trying to understand the nanites to take, were it not for the setup of the nanites and of the FS world in general. The nanites were designed to heal, enhance and greatly prolong the lifespan of the rich and powerful elite who were to be their recipients. But with the (buggy) nanites in widespread release, they fulfill their (corrupted) function to anyone and everyone, especially those within a nanite bubble where their abilities and orders are in full effect.
TigerStripes

Postby twilighttiger » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Nevermind
Last edited by twilighttiger on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twilighttiger

Postby Samsquatch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 pm

twilighttiger wrote:So I've missed the point of the game. Again.

Don't feel bad. I learned recently that a lot more is explained in the multiplayer game. For those of us who don't play that, it makes it difficult to have an informed opinion. It's one of the reasons why i'd like to eventually see the scope of the game expanded, but that's just my opinion.
Samsquatch

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 pm

twilighttiger wrote:<queries about idea>

I'm not telling you to go away nor was I trying to hint that your idea wasn't a good one. I just wanted to explain why your idea as it was didn't quite fit with the FS setup by explaining some of the background that isn't directly seen during the game. A good chunk of this isn't even directly explained during the multiplayer game either, instead being part of the ancillary material in the forums, the Q&A and the multiplayer wiki.

Having him come in with plans to get infected are certainly possible - maybe he believe it'll be transcending humanity or maybe he's just a perv (or both). As for stuff like increasing his nanite levels, it's safe to say that they become equally omnipresent in everyone in fairly short order, so I don't see that as a valid explanation. Also, if the nanites can't cure him normally, getting infected/transformed isn't going to be able to change that - if they can't fix it, they can't fix it.

As for 'altered nanites' and other stuff, there's strong limits on how much of that can be done for plot reasons relevant to the multiplayer game universe. Just consider the nanites 'un-messable-with' beyond the feat boosting type stuff that doctors Matt and Mouse are capable of. Having the mist be some kind of 'feat' that is meant (or hoped) to help maintain his sanity during transformation or to confer some similar special ability is certainly workable though.

Using this as a means to get rid of political/personal enemies is overly elaborate when you can just tie them up and dump them into the city, splatter them with a bucket-load of assorted infected fluids and/or toss them right into the hands of some lustful mutant monster. As for testing on the poor, that's the sort of thing that Dr. Mouse is basically doing already by capturing mutants. Getting people in/out of the city is actually very difficult, especially if you're trying to do it secretly. I don't see bringing in test subjects for infection inside the city center as a viable plan. If anyone wanted to do this kind of elicit testing, it'd be far easier to arrange in an area outside the military cordon that's still within the active area of the city's bubble.

Thinking over your idea, I see some viability to it with some retooling. I'd like to hang onto it for now as I think it'd make for a good side task to be part of the main storyline/hospital quest. If Dr. Matt/Mouse has been contacted for their expertise in the matter, that'd better provide a reason for the player to be present during the transformation. This task wouldn't be a difficult one and would just involve the player going to the designated location(s) to deliver the goods. Perhaps some technical equipment/supplies are to be provided in exchange for this assistance. The rich guy's reasons for doing this would be more personal rather than medical, as explained above.

As an additional point: Despite some content in the game to the contrary (made before hearing otherwise), Nuku has said that the nanites only affect and infect human beings. They are present in other animals in the bubble, but don't do anything to them. There are cases where an animal will get merged with a human though due to nanite action. In other cases, the nanites in the human picked up data indirectly from animals (or objects) in their presence, triggering their infection to manifest accordingly. These methods are how many of the strains in the city first came into being. So no changing/enhancing the dog, just so you know.
TigerStripes

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:00 pm

If only humans can be transformed by the nanites, do you want a list of scenes in the game that contradict this in the Typos and Bugs thread?
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:If only humans can be transformed by the nanites, do you want a list of scenes in the game that contradict this in the Typos and Bugs thread?

Some of those only 'seem' to be that way while others are the result of lack of initial information. Many of the latter cannot be changed, as they'd completely undo the material as it now stands. It's a matter of preventing more of these from popping up.
TigerStripes

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:36 pm

So no retcons for Angie and Midnight? ;)
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 am

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:So no retcons for Angie and Midnight? ;)

I'd say it's been retconned as 'things aren't as they appear' with no actual changes to the content. Just because someone in the game says/believes that's what's happened doesn't mean that's actually what occurred. The zoo's probably got a lot of content like that.
TigerStripes

Postby SallyFox » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:47 am

Need: Dominant Fang + Good Alexandria cuckoldry scene and maybe sub-fang + good alexandria
SallyFox

Postby Samsquatch » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:55 pm

TigerStripes wrote:Nanite things

Is there any chance that, at some point in the future, we could get a solid guide about nanites? While a list of things that they can do would be useful, a definitive list of things they can't do would help with understanding the world. Also, an explanation for how nanites work with the things that are mystical (angels, demons, Nightmare, the golden fleece thiny, Solstice and the like). There's may be stuff that's canon or not canon among that stuff, and it's difficult for some of us to understand the difference without having it laid out plainly. A guide wouldn't necessarily have to contain spoilers, but it would be useful for those who want to suggest content (so they know not to suggest content that might get swatted down) and for potential guest writers who don't feel that they understand the source material well enough to adequately write new content. At the very least, I think it'd add to many people's enjoyment of the material, as they'd have a better understanding of why things are the way they are.

That said your posts above were great and I learned a lot just from reading that. I'm just suggesting something in a more plain and rulesbook-ish format for easy reference.
Samsquatch

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat