Suggestions Wanted

Re: Suggestions Wanted

Postby Torahiko1995 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I would like to suggest a new recruit/lover rai the Tiger General based off Shining F http://www.4shared.com/account/home.jsp#dir=pURVcWDU or https://u18chan.com/gc/topic/1051779 , I would suggest make his initial appearance at the park praying at the shrine he would challenge you as a opponent because he is bored of the little challenge the other creatures pose and would like to accompany you on your travels if you beat him 5 times. At first he seems distant only viewing you as only a worthy opponent but after talking to him he comes to care about you like brutus but even more as a lover instead as a master. His backstory he's from another world like kitsune but not the exact one like him, he was fighting a war as a general for his king when he was banished to this world by the enemy which is why he's not a mindless fuck machine , he doesn't have the same attitude like kitsune because he would like to change it to be better for both humans and mutants instead to watch it like it was show for him, In short he's kitsunes' opposite as a feline, mortal, and hero.
Torahiko1995

Postby AnOne » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm

One idea I had was to add an NPC / object to the grid (if it's possible to do so after an event, then after the botched Parachuting Exploration event) that represents a pair of soldiers holed up in a building. When it comes to interactive content they don't provide much of it, only allowing you to drop off basic supplies (Food, Water, Medkit) or talk with them. You can be a dick and slip them Dirty Water, but they consume it off-screen and all you're rewarded with is - after 24 hours pass - the object being removed and a small description change to the room mention that it looks like the building was forced open from the inside-out.

However, in return for this limited interaction (the NPCs wouldn't even necessarily need names or descriptions), they could be used as a source for world and game information. They'd have a few things they'd always Talk about, and whenever you drop off supplies or activate certain options in the Talk menu (ex: After Matt tells you about Microwaving you can tell them at the price of being able to Infect them) you'll unlock more. They would effectively be an in-game mean for the writers to give hints and share some information that's currently forum / Q&A only, with the added bonus of reminding players / writers that the military isn't useless so much as disordered (about 95% of the implemented military NPC / encounter content is about infecting or watching soldiers get infected, but Matt and a few events explicitly mention that the game clock is a count-down until the military rolls in and cleans shop / evacuates survivor).

Basically you'd have an object that you could use regardless of whether you supported Mouse or Matt that gives you a few hints on where to seek other content, tells you interesting facts about the world that someone in-city wouldn't be suited to tell you, and at a later date could be expanded if someone paid for non-infected NPC content, infected NPC content, or even both.
AnOne

Postby Torahiko1995 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 am

I would like to suggest to add Ronsos from final fantasy 10 and if you want add npc's based off of kimhari, biran, and yenke. I would suggest to read the fanfic the scent of his mate as best content for them. Here http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_c ... &id=130315
Torahiko1995

Postby copiusamountsofhate » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Regarding the Tanuki Shrine quest, I have a suggestion for a well-warranted addition: as it would appear, in singleplayer, the ability to shift from a Tanuki back to a human does not exist-- perhaps this could be amended by adding a check to the 'leaf' command that checks for a 'tanuki' face, then if the player has a 'tanuki' face, gives the player human features.

What, this isn't already in-game?

No. It's not. Once the shrine quest is finished and the player uses the 'leaf' command, they become Tanuki without the capability of shifting back to Human. Using the 'leaf' command again results in the flavour text being repeated and no change (as the player is shifting from Tanuki to Tanuki), then the prompt for expanding and contracting body parts is again repeated.

Why should this be amended?

To put it simply, it is already heavily implied that the player can shift back and forth between Tanuki and Human forms, despite being technically unable to shift from Tanuki back to human. To quote flavour text already in-game:

"when play ends:
if SatisfiedTanuki is 0:
say "Your tanuki blood serves you well. They say Tanuki are shapeshifters as well, but you never quite get past size shifting. A handy enough trick on its own? The ability to at least transition from tanuki form to human is quite useful at least!";"

The bolded text heavily implies that the player can shift from Tanuki form to Human form, but in-game, the player is unable to do this. I should also mention that on the flexible survival wiki, the page "Tanuki (dedication)" <http://wiki.flexiblesurvival.com/w/Tanuki_(dedication)> describes the following:

"Thematic Information:
Raccoon dogs. Tanuki have great power over their body, allowing them to change their sexual characteristics at will. Attempts to change their sexual attributes against their will not only fail, but recover some of their energy. By focusing on a leaf, Tanuki may [shift] into their spiritual form, or to human from there."

Again, the bolded text heavily implies that the player can shift from Tanuki form to Human form, and again, in-game, the player cannot do this.

How should this be amended?

It shouldn't be too difficult. On the github page <https://github.com/Nuku/Flexible-Survival/blob/master/Nuku%20Valente/Tanuki.i7x>, line 70 and on describe 'leafing.' Adding a check to 'leafing' that checks if the player's face already is 'Tanuki' should allow the 'leaf' command to have more than just its default effect. All that would then need to be filled in are the specifics of making the player's features human and perhaps some flavour text describing the human form perhaps as 'mundane' or even more flavour text that would emphasize that the player is only able to shift between Tanuki and Human forms because they have not had much experience as a being of Tanuki "spiritual heritage." This amendment is honestly not very time-consuming at all and should be able to be accomplished without very much effort since the framework for all the Tanuki-specific commands already check for the player's face being 'Tanuki.'

I think this amendment would allow for more depth where depth was implied without being executed. Tell me what you think!
copiusamountsofhate

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:50 pm

copiusamountsofhate wrote:<Tanuki>

I believe the general idea here is that the player doesn't have a way to get back to being human. If you lose your humanity, it's pretty much gone for good. The city is filled with perils that are all out to leave you no longer human and there's pretty much no way back from that. There's even the deal with the Hellhound to restore your human form and protect you from infection, but that turns out to be a trap in and of itself. Coleen's spray is a limited opportunity, buying you another chance. Past that, it's up to you to avoid infection or lose your humanity forever. That is the world of the game and, personally, I'd not want the Tanuki ability to be able to restore a player's human form for this reason.

That said, I would not object should the Tanuki form be able to swap you back to the last head form you had before using the leaf ability. That way, if you had a German Shepherd head and used the leaf ability, you would get a Tanuki head until you used the ability again and swapped back to the German Shepherd head. If you then got infected and got a Hawkman head, you'd be able to swap between Tanuki and Hawkman. I did something similar (but much more complex) for the Wereraptor, so I could probably create this with about 2 - 3 hours of donated time.
TigerStripes

Postby copiusamountsofhate » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:43 am

TigerStripes wrote:<Tanuki>

What you mentioned about 'transformation permanency' (as I will refer to it from here on, for the lack of a better term) got me thinking about the specifics of implementing the ability to change back and forth. I read through the specifics of the Wareraptor code, which seems that it would, indeed be very similarly applicable, but not quite exactly, for what I imagined:

To keep with the theme of 'transformation permanency,' I think that there should be a sanity/humanity cost to shift from Tanuki to the previous form simply because the ability to change between forms immediately at will would simply be too free otherwise (noting how there are a lot of costs associated with the Wereraptor transformation curse). Maybe 1-3 humanity per changed part of the body in order to fit the theme of a concentration tax? Now then, since completing the Tanuki Shrine quest results in a save once the player goes below 10 humanity, a humanity penalty doesn't sound like it's very fitting, now does it? Well, what if there was a humanity check when shifting from Tanuki to the previous form, and if the player failed this check (humanity <60, humanity <40, something of that tune), the player simply fails to shift, or just fails to change specific body parts, namely the tail or even the legs (meaning that the player retains some Tanuki body parts if they cannot 'concentrate' well enough because their sanity/humanity is too low). Then, simply retain the previously saved value for the non-Tanuki form body part(s) that failed to change back and use them again once the player's sanity/humanity has risen above the humanity check threshold-- or perhaps not! Maybe, trying to transform from Tanuki to previous form without high enough humanity should result in a more permanent retention of random tanuki body parts (of course, discluding a Tanuki face or body type). I'll leave this to the discretion of your opinion and how difficult it would be to code a retention of the originally saved default body parts (when the player fails to change completely) in a tsbodypart (tanuki shift) variable until the player's humanity/sanity rises past the check threshold and is again able to perform a full body shift.

Also, there's the question of whether or not the player should retain endowment changes enacted while in Tanuki form. I think, to give the player a purpose for entering and exiting Tanuki form, that the player had ought to be able to retain said endowment size changes enacted while in Tanuki form, but I would definitely like to hear what you think about it!
copiusamountsofhate

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 am

Given that you could just use your journal before trying to shift back to insure that your sanity was nice and high, that doesn't sound like an actual penalty.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby copiusamountsofhate » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:Given that you could just use your journal before trying to shift back to insure that your sanity was nice and high, that doesn't sound like an actual penalty.

That's a terribly valid point. It would then become a penalty ad tedium. Perhaps a hunger and thirst penalty could be used in place of a humanity/sanity penalty. Maybe even a morale penalty. Again, something to emphasize that the transformation from Tanuki (mentioned in-game as the player's 'natural form') to the player's previous form is taxing for the player, and if the player is too hungry or thirsty or has morale too low or even libido too high, they become 'unable to concentrate' and are simply unable to shift until they are nourished and able of mind to meditate.

Perhaps the ability to shift (specifically from Tanuki to the previous form) should also check for an area where it is safe to sleep and/or the Park Shrine and cost a three hour time period simply to emphasize that the player must be able to concentrate without interruption while meditating for an extended period of time.

This is why I ask for feedback! :D

As an aside, perhaps the player should instead be able to 'sacrifice' a meal of non-infectious garden vegetables (or fruits) with a bottle of water at the donation box at the Tanuki Shrine in the park in order to gain enough favor of the 'spiritual heritage' bestowed upon the player to shift to their previous form, again costing a 3 hours time period. It would certainly make the whole process a lot simpler, but it might thematically de-value the player's Tanuki abilities beyond what they had ought to be (since the player is obviously powerful enough already to shift size at will without penalty).

Again, thoughts? Especially on the location requirements?
copiusamountsofhate

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Honestly, consider how much effort you have to go through to item hunt all the needed sacrifices, I question if an added penalty to shift back from Tanuki form to your previous shape is really necessary. As it is, I don't consider the Tankuki power to be very useful. Adding the ability to change back would make me find it a useful power but if that came with some extra penalty it would probably drop back to being not useful.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 pm

I don't think the added penalty is necessary, though a minor humanity loss for thematic reasons (especially if emphasized or symbolized during the restoration scene) could still be included if you like. As stated, the Tanuki power takes some effort to obtain and I don't see getting back the head form you just had as a major increase to its abilities, but would definitely be one that many players would appreciate. The food/water sacrifice is an interesting idea, but I think that might be better saved for some kind of attempt on the player's part to obtain a full Tanuki form as some future expansion.
TigerStripes

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat