Suggestions Wanted

Re: Suggestions Wanted

Postby Pazz » Thu May 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I'm always having a hard time looking for new events/quests.
Just now I found out that there's a wolfman lair. You have to beat football wolfman a couple of times till someone invites you.
I did do this and got the invite. He said: "You've shown your strength and skill. Why don't you join us in our base camp? It's in a warehouse over near 11th street. Just look for the entrance of our wolfman lair - there's a large wolf's head painted on the front wall too, you can barely miss it."
This is the invite, yes?

So I looked at my nav section, which looks really nice bytheway, and looked at Warehouse District. I didn't see any wolfman lair on it.
I went to the Warehouse District. Moved north and south, and I couldn't find anything.
I tried to search for 'entrance' and stuff like that. But nothing helped.
Other new locations do appear in the nav section.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe I don't know text commands. I've typed "help" but there wasn't anything related to my issue.
My suggestion is make it more clear at what I'm supposed to do. This goes for any old and new event.

Another example is Bubble. I still haven't seen her.
According to the wiki, you need to see the 'snared vixen' event first. Where is this event? How do I unlock/search for it? Cause walking around the beach, fleeing from monsters over and over and over, is really boring.
If I recal correctly, I did had such an event, and after that you could see something in the distance. Were the bouncy castle is.
To get there, you need an item that helps you breath under water. I have never seen any item doing this, in this game.

I don't mind doing a little field work or research. But I get little to no hints. The wiki doesn't help. There's almost no info about events on the blog or this forum. If I want to search about 'events' or 'commands' or anything like that, I get a message telling me that words like that are too common, thus unable to search.

If you want me to at least consider donating, you need to fix this.
Pazz

Postby soul4hdwn » Thu May 08, 2014 6:42 pm

The word/command you are looking for is "hunt".
This isn't just for monsters but events too. In the wolfman moment you said, it told you where to start and use "hunt wolfman lair" and you should find it.
Other events can be hunted like monsters, even a location like the beach or mall.
soul4hdwn

Postby Pazz » Sun May 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to find Hadiya. You can meet her at an event outside, during exploration. The event is called 'Annoyed Hyena'.
I use the command "hunt annoyed hyena". I get "Perhaps you should try looking somewhere closer to what you seek..."
I'm outside, there isn't any way for me to go more outside. Also, closer to where? What use is this message to me?

With finding Bubble I had way more luck. I fiddled with some commands and I could see the castle at some point in my nav.
Maybe I did something wrong the last time, or maybe it were the commands that made it much easier. I don't know.

The castle has many rooms and many traps. This is great. Traps. Skill challenges. I know the game mostly rolls a dice based on the appropiate skill, but it's still really cool.
When trying to save Bubble, she always gets turned into an inflatable vixen. This always happens? No way to save her? This is just a question, not a suggestion.

The wolfman lair. Boy did that command not work.
I went to the warehouse district. Typed "hunt wolfman lair". I got the message "You don't think what you're looking for can be found here..."
Well, the wolfman said a warehouse. This is the warehouse district. So....? Also variants of the command don't work. I still can't find it.
Why did you made this so obscure? If it's hard to code, don't put it in. If it wasn't hard to code, why make it hard to use?

There was a blogpost about new suggestions for already existing characters/monsters. I have a few.

More dominant females/female-herms. That means that they are dominant towards the player. This is fun for people who have the submissive feat, or who are submissive in general.
There are already a few. Hadiya, which can't be found anymore. Hyena Matriarch, which is also a hyena. If you, like me, are not into furry, you will get mixed feelings about this.
Gina has a scene, which is also a hyena.
The slutrats. When you got them a pool table, you can play against one rat and if you lose, they said they will 'take your ass'. But they never do.
It was explained to me that this was because of some earlier programming. Well, we are further now. So do it. Make that scene.
Feline gymnast and dark elf really have good scenes.
Amazonian and math teacher are good, but they could be a bit longer.
Or herms that don't use their extra package on you. Well, now they use it.

Also, f-you racism. You need to be a slutrat for this, a skunk for that, a jackal for this. How about no? I refuse to see content that forces me to become something I don't want to be.

I hope I don't sound extremely negative. I like most things, but some elements are really frustrating or annoying.

EDIT: If I see one more female-herm that is dominant towards the player. Maybe a player loss scene? I will defenitely donate. Not just for that scene, but for the whole game and your awesome work.
Pazz

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 pm

If you're not into furry, Flexible Survival is kind of an odd game for you to be playing.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby Wahn » Sun May 11, 2014 11:17 pm

The city has dufferent areas, each forming a separate hunting ground. The Outside area is just the part of the city near the library. You`ll have to explore a bit - the `closer to what you seek` message is a hint that your target exists, just elsewhere...

As for the wolfman lair, the (even highlighted) critical words are entrance and lair. Due to Inform coding restraints, the same name for a room and event are not permissible. So you`re simply not searching the right term. And it`s in the outside area - though I think the new nav list might have it listed in the warehouse district to even the list out a bit. If so, I will move the event too later today.

Btw... I find it somewhat strange that you`re playing a TF game if you`re so opposed to having your char changed. All the _extra_ scenes for different forms are there for people who enjoy trying new things. No one forces you to try and enjoy all the nice stuff built over the years for all kinds of different people and their preferences.

Lastly, FS is being written by hobby-programmers in their free time, either because they just feel like doing something specific or because a fan commissions it. While we do welcome suggestions, snarky comments to get cracking on anything (and better be quick about it) don`t endear your wishes on any of us...
Wahn

Postby TigerStripes » Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 am

Pazz wrote:<feedback>

Hadiya's event ended up getting moved to the Junkyard area as part of the recent reshuffling that took place. I've adjusted her Wiki information to better reflect this.

As Wahn said, the 'looking somewhere closer message' means it's in a different area of the game.

I'm glad you liked the Bouncy Castle. The traps and stuff there aren't meant to be that difficult individually, but instead meant to slow you down. There's a timer on rescuing the vixen before she succumbs entirely. And yes, the only form you can rescue her in is the inflatable vixen one. By the time you get there, she's been transformed that much. You're saving her from losing her mind entirely before turning completely into another inflatable dolphin girl.

Wolfman Lair: The event for this is 'Entrance to the Lair' and is currently located "Outside". It was not moved when the Wolfmen themselves were relocated. That would be my fault. I'll need to fix that up after work.

EDIT: Back from work, continuing...

Okay, I've tweaked the text to make it a little clearer and moved the event to the Warehouse District to better match with the event. In case you're getting a time-delayed version, just go looking for it in the main "Outside" area until then.

As for dominant female/herm, one of the items in my queue is for a female NPC with a penchant for fem-dom. While Stella's not quite dom, she's assertive and top-only. Might not quite be what you're looking for, but she's at least along the same theme. Similarly, there's alpha-Coleen - turn her into a husky, but don't claim her as a pet and then submit to being her slutty bitch instead. Nermine also has a dominant streak if you take the Jackalboy path or you only complete the standard portions of the Jackalman path. While these are still furry (and all canines), they do provide some variety. At this time, I'm not looking to make more new NPCs and instead wish to focus on improving on what we've got. That doesn't mean there might not be a female/herm out there who might enjoy taking charge of a 'Submissive' player with a special scene. I'll keep it in mind as well as your suggestion for more/improved scenes for the critters you listed. I should be able to provide at least something in that regard.

Speci-ism in FS: Yes, there are some creatures and NPCs out there who are focused on turning the player into another of their kind and sometimes they'll only interact w/the player fully if they belong to their group. The nature of the game does involve even many of your 'friendly' NPCs looking to transform/recruit you. Having content specific to these situations is only natural in a game world like this. The examples you mentioned are somewhat stronger examples of these, but they also have a reason for happening that way.
- In Nermine's case, she's seeking to turn the player into either her slave boy (Jackalboy) or her lover-pet (Jackalman). While Nermine claims she's helping you while you're helping her, like most things she offers at her store, there's a hidden catch. These are permanent infections, which can be frustrating if you don't particularly like them.
- With the Slut Rats, you're dealing with lazy, hedonistic, self-centered rats. You're not going to be able to join their nest or incite them to storm the pool hall without at least being one of their kind. In this case, you don't have to stay one though.
- As for Skunk, I'm assuming you mean with Dr. Moffatt. She's a special case where she provides a semi-permanent infection. Once you've reached the latter stages of her sessions, her infection will restore itself, but only as long as you have the Hyperskunk body. You simply need to get your body infection changed to something else and it'll stop spreading.

There are some a few situations (as with Nermine) where permanent infections are gained. I can see why they are appealing to some players, but I'm not big on them personally. They also are very good for throwing wrenches into the works for both coding and storytelling, so I tend to avoid them unless specifically requested. This is why the Wereraptor and Hyperskunk ones work differently and are semi-permanent.

I know FS is furry-heavy, but that's sort of how things have ended up thanks to having a few furries being the main contributors over time. Wahn's done a lot of work to provide humans and near-human NPCs as a considerable portion of his creations. I've also made an effort to make several non-furry critters, but my preference is also for furry transformations. I know a segment of the tf community prefers non-furry stuff, so we do try to provide.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.
TigerStripes

Postby Savriss » Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm

What about making the permanent infections more like the Tanuki thing?

As in; you can just transform back into nightmare or jackal variations at will rather than reverting back to them all the time. Just make sure to wear it at end-game, and that causes the appropriate endings.
Pygmalion, craft me my own Galatea!
Savriss

Postby Wahn » Mon May 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Savriss wrote:What about making the permanent infections more like the Tanuki thing?

As in; you can just transform back into nightmare or jackal variations at will rather than reverting back to them all the time. Just make sure to wear it at end-game, and that causes the appropriate endings.

For the jackalman, we could just leave the player with a permanent ankh amulet they can use to transform in one go - though that would cause a need for variants in all of Nermine's jackalman scenes, as they currently just assume that the player has that permanent infection and mention the player's canine cock, fur, etc.
Wahn

Postby Savriss » Tue May 13, 2014 2:41 am

That sounds like a great idea to me.

Instead of giving a new ankh every time, Nermine (and the final quest giver) could further enhance the powers of one item each time.
One could use the command 'rub' to regain what Jackalman parts have been unlocked or 'wear' it to have it constantly reinforcing the change (much like the Jaguar headdress) .
Instead of Nermine asking whether the player wants to undo the changes each time she's spoken to, simply giving the ankh back to her would end and close off the Jackalman series of quests.
Nermine could be gated from having sex with a PC who wasn't in full Jackalman shape. While this would still need some code, it does seem like the simplest of several possible fixes.

Considering that the Nightmare strain is acquired by drinking a potion, I think that it would still suit a transform command. Alternatively, I suppose, one could go to Fancy for a refresher?
Having the PC able to lose the Nightmare strain would, in future, also give the ideal opportunity for the ex boss to attempt to regain control.

I don't know much about the Jackalboy strain and can't suggest anything for it.

What other permanent strains are there? I seem to remember the Hellhound is one...
Pygmalion, craft me my own Galatea!
Savriss

Postby nukuv » Tue May 13, 2014 11:16 am

You could have the player transform back whenever they engage in those scenes that require it.
nukuv
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat