Suggestions Wanted

Re: Suggestions Wanted

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun May 04, 2014 8:57 am

I like that idea: it could be split up into something like Equipment (weapons, armors, and combat items like medkits and mace as well as plot items), Safe Consumables (Food, Water Bottles, and other items that can be eaten/drunk without infection, probably including cock & testosterone pills), and Tainted Consumables (anything that causes an infection if used).
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby gappydave » Sun May 04, 2014 11:37 am

The wierd thing is that i've suggested multiple columns for the inventory but no one noticed.
Last edited by gappydave on Sun May 04, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gappydave

Postby Wahn » Sun May 04, 2014 1:11 pm

gappydave wrote:The wierd thing is that i've suggested multiple columns for the inventory but nonone noticed.

I've suggested the same thing myself one and a half years ago. The idea is nothing new.

Today, I actually went on a search for inform documentation (again) to see if I could knock it together - and I can report that Inform is a terribly primitive, stunted version of a programming language, replacing clear code commands with pseudo-english sentences. Which I guess allows people who vehemently resist learning normal coding to write 'stuff' with it, while at the same time throwing basic operations and functionality out the window that might be used to do anything a bit more complex. :? :evil:

To get a two-column inventory structure, we do need to pad or shorten item name and weight strings to a set length. Taking the vague documentation for Inform and shaking it in rage sadly has not yielded any easy way to do this...
Wahn

Postby gappydave » Sun May 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Since changing the programming language used would be a massive project. I'm going to guess that we're stuck with the current system as such an undertaking wouldn't be worth it just for a better inventory.
gappydave

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun May 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Honestly, it's starting to sound like there are some places in the game that are hitting the limit as far as the way it was programmed goes.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Sun May 04, 2014 6:03 pm

I have some ideas on how we might more generally circumvent this, but I'll need to think on it some more and see what I can come up with. I've got a lot on my plate to deal with, but I'll have it running in the background of my mind. If you don't hear back from me on it in a week or two, give me a poke.
TigerStripes

Postby nukuv » Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 am

Already fixed. <3
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby userpay » Mon May 05, 2014 1:32 pm

nukuv wrote:Already fixed. <3

*head tilts?*
userpay

Postby Wahn » Mon May 05, 2014 9:34 pm

userpay wrote:
nukuv wrote:Already fixed. <3

*head tilts?*

Nuku just put two inventory entries in the same line without string length adjustments - which isn't a clean two-column approach, so it creates a jagged edge of items on the right side. Still, it's better than having to scroll down to see your whole inventory...
Wahn

Postby nukuv » Tue May 06, 2014 10:55 am

Fixed, take 2, now with pretty columns.
nukuv
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat