mechanics/gameplay questions

mechanics/gameplay questions

Postby dark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am

Hi.

Okay I seem to be getting on a little better in the game these days (not getting screwed quite as much, well not unless I want to), however I do have a few questions.

firstly I see mention both on this forum and on the wiki of the automatic survival feat, yet it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.
In fairness I do like scavenging for food and water as it contributes to the atmosphere of the gameso wouldn't want to be without that mechanic (though I often take Spartan diet), so whether I'd use it I don't know, still it seems odd that it's missing.

Secondly what is with the trade command? I don't seem to be able to trade with any npcs other than those occasional negotiations while scavenging, yet there is a feat related to trade so how does it work?

third, Is there benefit to wild womb? I took it hoping my children would aid me in combat, however it resulted in them leaving straight after birth which was rather odd.

Fourth, on the subject of pregnancy, is getting the mpreg feat the only way to become pregnant with eggs? and if I get that, does that negate normal pregnancy?

Is there a use for the gas mask or apocalypse scarf across the face or are they just there for decoration.

I was also wondering about libido, morale and combat bonuses, since I've noticed sometimes I get fairly big negative multiplyers in combat against comparatively equal level monsters, and wondered if this related to my morale or libido, though since at the moment checking the status bar is a wee bit more work it is likely I'm missing important changes.

Sorry about all the questions, but once I was over the shock of Flexible survival and deciding to make a go of what content the game had to offer I would like to work things out strategically if I can.

Thanks in advance.
dark

Re: mechanics/gameplay questions

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am

Automatic Survival isn't a feat, it's a cheat. You can toggle it by talking to Trixie and bringing up the cheat menu.

Haggler affects the Scavenging event where you try to convince a mutant to let you have some of their stuff, it just provides a random chance of receiving two of the item instead of one after a successful Charisma check.

Wild Womb is just a fun feat for people who don't want tons of kids following them around. If you want your kids to help you in a fight, you need the Spirited Youth combat feat. To get it, you need to have found Dr Matt, have a free feat available, and have at least one kid following you. Once you have three or more kids, you can upgrade it with Youthful Tides, which adds a random chance for all your kids to attack your target instead of just one, dealing damage based on how many kids you have.

Getting eggs depends on your infection type and the infection type of the father. For example, if Orthas knocks you up, it's an egg. You can also get eggs for all pregnancies from Doctor Medea at the Pediatrics Clinic after doing a few quests for her.

The Face Mask gives you a little protection from the spore attack made by Mushroom Men in the Park and that's pretty much it. The Apocalypse Scarf and other Apocalypse clothing are just decorative.

Your chances to hit in combat are based on your level and your Dexterity modifier. If you're not hitting something, your Dex is probably a lot lower than theirs and/or they're a higher level than you. Your Dex score also affects their modifier when trying to hit you. Libido just shows how horny you are, at 100 libido you'll spontaneously orgasm and lose a little sanity outside combat, or you might submit to your opponent in combat. Morale affects your crit rate: high morale means you'll crit often, low morale means you'll only get crits rarely.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby barian » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm

For trading, it isn't obvious that you can do it at all, and most npcs don't have anything coded for them I don't think. But you can use the command GIVE (object) TO (npc). For example in the Smith Haven Mall with Rod Mallrat, typing:
give water to rod

Will try to offer him a water bottle, and in return he offers junkfood, so things like chips and soda. You can also give him food.
barian

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Yeah, you can give Rod water bottles for chips, food for sodas, and milk like dog milk or griffon milk for distilled milk (useful for recruiting Snow). Other than that, you can give the Demon Tooth to Nermine to start the quest to get a Demon Brute pet. Can't think of anyone else you actually use the Give command on, most newer characters handle such things through dialog.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby dark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks, this is helpful. I have used the give command on a couple of npcs like sven, I just wondered if the trade command did something else, also good to know there is a way to have my children useful in combat.

it seems a little strange there aren't any ways to make your libido work for you in combat terms, since I would've thought a player who was all hot and steamy would be more likely to fight harder, what with having more incentive to get whatever your fighting to submit to your whims, still good to know about dexterity, though I hope you can afford to raise other stats too rather than having to focus on dexterity exclusively to have a chance in combat, since generally I tend to like to go for a random spread of stats which gives me a more even chance so that I am better able to succeed the various checks in the game, as Flexible survival is one game where all the stats make a difference to gameplay somewhere along the line.

Other than using the infection terminal in Dr. Matt's lab, is there a way of knowing a monster's level while your wandering around? That way it would be easier to know what areas to avoid at lower levels, is there a relatively even spread of critters of all levels in all areas barring special encounters.

I do know on normal you don't seem to encounter anything more than about four levels above yours, though of course whether there are monsters at your own level I don't know.
dark

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 pm

If you choose Dex as your starting good stat and put one point into it to raise it to 18 (or use the Lil Better cheat), your dex will be high enough to see you through most fights so you can safely buff your other stats. And there are plenty of events you can find that offer stat boosts.

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby dark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 am

Thanks Shoggoth, good to know, I do like seeing my stats grow and hopefully not getting screwed too much, though hay if it happens such is life in the apocalypse.
I haven't played much with the cheat menu since I tend to like the challenge of the game as is, eg, trying to find good events and abilities (pets are cool and I've found several so far).

One question not related to mechanics, I was wondering how to get into the psych department at the hospital? I've met Dr. Mophat, who has asked me to come and see her, but hunt psych department doesn't seem to work.
dark

Postby dark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:07 am

Hi.
Sorry for the double post but I don't seem to be able to find the way to the upstairs of the hospital.

I'm told that I have explored enough, but I still need to find a to the upper floor. when I search for stairwell I'm told it's blocked and I need to find an accessible stairwell, however I've tried hunt open stairwell, hunt accessible stairwell, and hunt unblocked stairwell and none are working.
Any advice?
dark

Postby barian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:19 am

barian

Postby dark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 am

Okay I was a stupid head, I didn't realize that "finding a way in" was an event ha.

Well I've now finished a full run through, though only got to the rubber tigress bit of Dr. mouse quest because I spent so much time at the hospital doing random searches, I did get several bunker companions, including Sarah (cured by me), coleen, Sven and Vanessa, although I didn't get to see vanessa give birth.

I could type playon I suppose, but the problem with doing that is that seems to remove the endings where your actually rescued, meaning the only possible endings are givein ones, which is a shame since it's nice to see what happens to all the various npcs you've met.
Oh well maybe that is what forgotten mode is for for next time.

it was a cool run though, and there were definitely some companions I quite liked.
dark

Next

Return to General Chat