Typos and Bugs

Re: Typos and Bugs

Postby Songbird » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:05 pm

In the Matriarch NPC file, the sex scene picking logic needs to be rewired due to what appears to be a limitation of Inform's line break system.

Currently, the logic tries to append various different sentences to the end of a paragraph. This buggers up when it reaches 'say ".";', however, which is printed on an altogether new line instead of being placed where it was intended to be. The result:

Code: Select all
that's what you want

The sexy hyena herm

According to an Inform manual on line breaks, Inform only appends text to say paragraphs that don't end in certain characters, and while that criteria is met here with the paragraph in question ending in 'what you want";', the period is still placed on another line.

I suspect this is due to Inform not recognizing it's supposed to append to the earlier paragraph after 'otherwise if Z < 105', for reasons which elude me. Can anyone confirm this on some test cases? I'm not familiar enough with Inform code and don't even know how to create a basic story, so it's out of my skill level and I'd rather leave it to the professionals to test.

There's a few other bugs like this throughout the game that I'd like to report if I stumble across them; it's a lengthy endeavor, but fixing formatting breakage makes a big difference in the perceived level of polish in a game. If you can find what causes errors like this, as well as a clean workaround, all the better.
Songbird

Postby UsernamePending » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:57 pm

*** Run-time problem P23: Attempt to look up a non-existent entry at column 41, row 86 of the table 'Table of random critters'.

*** Value handling failed: copy from null value ***

Happened while I was at the City Park navigating to the Beach Plaza. Kinda irritated, was experimenting with the Parasitic Plant and had been hunting for awhile.
UsernamePending

Postby Songbird » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Also in the Matriach NPC file:

The large hyena grns and gives her cock a few strokes

'grns' should be 'grins'.
Songbird

Postby userpay » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:09 pm

https://gyazo.com/158aef58cf8439eb79c1c4bc6f5c61e2

Had this crop up several times while either hunting or exploring. Different numbers each time, in different places.

edit: Another sample https://gyazo.com/7d81b70d844110341552333f29484585

Seems like its a problem with either the random table itself or just column 41.

editedit: another hit on row 176
userpay

Postby UsernamePending » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 am

FOUND A CREATURE CAUSING THE ISSUE:
hunt Male Dominator
You are almost certain you saw some Male Dominator tracks...

*** Run-time problem P23: Attempt to look up a non-existent entry at column 41, row 107 of the table 'Table of random critters'.

Checked a couple of times using a pure male human. Did this from the Park Entrance navpoint.
UsernamePending

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:03 am

Songbird wrote:<Matriarch NPC file>
The result:

that's what you want

The sexy hyena herm

I unfortunately expect we're going to be seeing a lot of these formatting errors popping up. We recently managed to update to the new version of Inform, but that means some of the rules on how Inform does stuff has been changed. As I've done this trick on numerous occasions, I suspect we'll see a bunch more of these scattered around. Also, I found that second typo you mentioned on my own while hopefully correcting this one.
TigerStripes

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:28 am

UsernamePending wrote:FOUND A CREATURE CAUSING THE ISSUE:
hunt Male Dominator
You are almost certain you saw some Male Dominator tracks...

*** Run-time problem P23: Attempt to look up a non-existent entry at column 41, row 107 of the table 'Table of random critters'.

Checked a couple of times using a pure male human. Did this from the Park Entrance navpoint.

I could tell from the error message that it was a creature that was missing one of the new (as in ~2+ years old) extra columns of creature data. I figured it might just be an accidental omission or mistaken deletion, not this. The Dominator file should not be active - having them in the game is messed up. Checking now...

The Male/Female Slut and Male/Female Dominator are not active in my locally compiled version of the game. Testing downloaded version now...

They are not included in the current release found in the installer. Updating to the newest version should solve this problem.
TigerStripes

Postby UsernamePending » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:59 pm

You run into a Rodeo Clown.
Coming towards you is a very strange looking person. With a face covered in greasepaint and brightly coloured clothes and a stetson, they look at first glance like a rodeo clown. But things just don't quite seem right. Details quickly pile up to make it clear that they're not a regular rodeo clown bullfighter. The most obvious is the large, F-cup breasts and the smaller, but still noticeable bulge in the crotch of the dusty, baggy overalls. There's also the way she walks with arms and legs that flex and bend in arches rather than at a fixed joint. Her face, you can see when she draws closer to you, is not actually painted with make-up, but naturally has a clown's colourful markings to make it brighter and her exposed skin is a little too pink and smooth to quite be normal. Her clothes as well, it seems, are not really clothes at all, but somehow also a part of her.
When she notice you, she start running towards you, waving her flexible arms in the air, whooping and hollering to get your attention, almost annoyingly so. "Woo! Woo! Here Bossy! Here Bossy! Come git me!" she calls out, taunting you to charge at her like a bull. While mostly an annoyance, she's making far too much noise, so you'd best deal with her before anything else notices the ruckus.

Thought Rodeo Clown was temporarily removed.
UsernamePending

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:30 am

UsernamePending wrote:
Thought Rodeo Clown was temporarily removed.

'Temporary' is now over.
TigerStripes

Postby UsernamePending » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Discarded Dolphin typo:

Outwardly, the dolphin appears to have regressed to its inanimate state, though betrayed by your loud, muffled moans, its occasional twitching against the waves, and your throbbing, material-coated cocks which now hangs exposed from its undercarriage. It's difficult to maintain even the slightest mental clarity at this point, the prospect of being milked by this toy eternally very close to a reality!
UsernamePending

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat