Saving/loading

Saving/loading

Postby Akimitsu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:50 am

How do I open a save in the downloaded flexible survival client? I copy the numbers like I'm supposed to, but what do I do from there?
Akimitsu

Re: Saving/loading

Postby nukuv » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am

If you're playing the downloadable version, you don't need to copy the numbers at all! Enjoy the luxury of typing restore game and it should take it from there. You may need to be in front of the save fairy at the time.

Copying the numbers is still a good idea, just in case, especially between versions. to use the numbers, go to the fairy, and type recite and then a space and then all those numbers. Do it again for the continuedchant part.
nukuv
Site Admin

Postby rufim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 am

I do not understand this at all! tis saving system . What am I doing wrong?
I just start the game and click on "get everything" .

First . I click save and reboot the game and then I press "load a game" . The program creates 4 files but none of them can be loaded as a savegame.

Next . if I try to recite. I start the game and write
recite 'first part saveword'
The game start ...
recite "second"
Your words do not seem to have any effect .
recite 'third'
But the game just keep " your words do not seem to have any effect . "
Furthermore , My strenth was 12, but after the "recite" become 17. And all the stuff that I get in the bunker returned in there place (I did not even see the difference between savewords when I get items or not)
rufim

Postby Wahn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:51 am

As the inherent save/restore function of Inform does not function across different versions of the game, we had two implement a secondary system that runs alongside to bridge that gap.

First, there are the save/restore commands - which generate save files that you can just restore during your normal playthrough.

Second, there is the saveword/load game/recite system to transfer your progress to a new game version. I guess you've been mixing those up as the button that says "save" doesn't use the actual save command mentioned above but does generate a saveword. The saveword system is _not_ designed to be used constantly during a playthrough.

Once you have the saveword, you can use it to restore your playthrough on a new version of the game. This is doable by two different ways:
- The command "load game" will read the files automatically generated that contain the saveword.
- The (older, from before the automatic file generation) comman "recite" will allow you to manually let Trixie the save fairy restore your progress. You'll need to stand beside her in the library and recite all 3 parts of the saveword.
Wahn

Postby rufim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 am

Wahn wrote:... I guess you've been mixing those up as the button that says "save" doesn't use the actual save command mentioned above but does generate a saveword. The saveword system is _not_ designed to be used constantly during a playthrough. ...

Yes! You are damn right! Now it finally work. Thank you! I almost broke my brain to understand... everywhere wrote about saweword so i...
rufim

Postby Wahn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 am

Yeah, I can see how that can be confusing - I'll have a chat with Nuku and Stripes about a bit more clearly separating the two different systems in their commands...
Wahn

Return to General Chat