Image Editing Offline Game

Image Editing Offline Game

Postby pridefall » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:04 pm

So I've downloaded the Master 7zip from GitHub, edited in images I want to use for my own personal amuse, but now can find no way to run the game from any of its downloaded folders.

What's my next step?
pridefall

Re: Image Editing Offline Game

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:27 am

pridefall wrote:So I've downloaded the Master 7zip from GitHub, edited in images I want to use for my own personal amuse, but now can find no way to run the game from any of its downloaded folders.

What's my next step?

I'm assuming you mean to run the raw game code. To do that, you'll need to get a copy of Inform and install it. You'll then need to:
- Start a new project and name it Flexible Survival.
- Exit Inform
- Locate the folder where you saved your new project. In a sub-folder of it (/Flexible Survival.inform/Source), It should have the story.ni file in there. Unzip the downloaded data into that folder. Replace that story.ni file with the one from the GitHub (located in the Inform sub-folder).
- Go back to the folder where you save your new project and now go into the (/Flexible Survival.materials/Figures) folder and replace it with the content in the Figures folder. In your case, you'll put your own altered image set here.
- Locate Inform's active extensions folder. It is probably this one: C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Inform\Extensions
- Again copy the game source code into that. You should end up with a pile of the sub-folders for the various devs with their extensions there. You should be able to directly unzip the file from GitHub into that. If you do so, remove the 'Inform', 'Flexible Infection' and 'Flexible Society Main File' sub-folders, as they are story.ni files and not extensions.
- The above stage may seem redundant (and it partially is), but it'll save you a lot of time as well, especially in the future.

If you plan on updating your local version regularly whenever we issue new content, I recommend you go through the additional steps of making a Git account and following the game's updates. The same applies to anyone looking to add their own content to the game. To get started on that, click on the 'Help' option in the lower right of the GitHub repository page and follow the instructions to 'Set Up Git'. You can then make a Fork of Nuku's Flexible Survival folder and use Git to receive updates. I don't have time atm to go into the details of that, but I believe there's some info on it in the Dev Chat folder.
TigerStripes

Postby pridefall » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:09 pm

FIXED
Last edited by pridefall on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pridefall

Postby pridefall » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:24 pm

FIXED
Last edited by pridefall on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pridefall

Postby pridefall » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:36 pm

New questions!

1) I'm noticing that a lot of entries have multiple genders of creatures in them (Goblins and Pit Bull, for example) but share the same Icon tag (the entry for Goblins, for example, is just "Goblin). Is there a way to make it so an exact image shows up with each gender, or...am I just going to have to insert a "Project Figure of X" in each description portion of the entry for each monster not associated with the original NAME_Icon?

(For example: Goblin_icon goes in the tables within FGraphics, but Project Figure of X goes in the description for when you encounter a Female Goblin)

2) Another question on multiple entries for the same creature -- I'm looking at the Succubus Entries, and I'm not sure what happened? One is more recent than the other and has the "Succubus" tag in it to be added to the Random Monster Table, but the other is older and only has Succubus_Gene in it? Should I delete the older folder, or is it still in use? (This applies to other entries, too)

Newest error:

In Book 10 - Let the Games Begin:

"Problem. I am unable to put any value into the variable '|__ <en-trie-indef-c> ::= a*', because sound name is a kind of value with no actual values."

What does this mean?
pridefall

Return to General Chat