Saving Grace

Saving Grace

Postby nukuv » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 pm

I spent much of the day ramming my head against obscure Inform code to make inventory saving a thing.

Is it working for you?

If this works flawlessly, it could be expanded out, for instance, we could save your feats! We could save almost anything we want, since we can make a singular file for each kind of thing we want to save, avoiding the size issues. And since we're saving them to files, worrying about lumping the player with huge clunky save words also becomes a thing of the past, at least so long as you're playing at home. Not sure how the DOM keeps the files between versions.

Testing is required!
nukuv
Site Admin

Re: Saving Grace

Postby leodreal » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Im trying it out atm, and it seems to work just fine. Havent really maxed out my inventory yet, but with like 18 different things ive tried to save, undo load back and forth and it seems to work as intended.

A question, have you ever thought of stacking stuff on the ground aswell? Like in your inventory, if you for example dont want to drag around 22 bottles of water and want to leave about 18 in the bunker. Atm that would cover loads in the screen and be a bother to pick up, can you not make it like the inventory and make it like "18x bottles of water" on the ground, and make it so that if you have hyperlinks as you how many. Even easier without were you just write how many you want to pick up, defult being all of em.
leodreal

Re: Saving Grace

Postby Wahn » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm

leodreal wrote:Atm that would cover loads in the screen and be a bother to pick up

It's even worse - if you pour a pile of stuff on the ground, the game glitches and you can't pick up any single item. It's "take all" or nothing at that point.
Wahn

Return to General Chat