Flash FS brainstorming

Flash FS brainstorming

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Just thought about starting a thread for ideas for the Flash upgrade of the game. If the devs think it's worth having around they can sticky it. Or whatever.

One thing that's been on my mind for a while is how badly FS needs an overhaul for its weapons. A lot of the lower damage weapons are effectively useless due to the way they're distributed. So redoing them with greater diversity (like added secondary effects) would really work to encourage people to try using more variety.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Re: Flash FS brainstorming

Postby TigerStripes » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:20 am

Combat and weapons do need a bit of a revamp. I need to compute how to balance things better with leveling up and damage (no easy task). As well, several of the existing weapons made by others do not follow the chart I'd initially laid out, further confusing the matter.

In general, the bulk of the base weapons are more a matter of cosmetic choice and providing something to be found in each area. This way the player can get something a little better than the starting pocketknife, regardless of which area is thoroughly explored first. Does the player prefer their mutant to be running around with a mallet, knife or giant fish? That's up to them.

As for special weapon traits, a couple of them already do have something. For some, it's a bonus/penalty to hit. They all come in different sizes, and so are a better fit for certain player sizes. The bo staff and banana peel gun (a Patreon reward) have other abilities. A few receive bonuses against specific monsters. The crowbar gives a bonus to certain scavenging checks. A lot of this is half-hidden background stuff you need to pay attention to catch is happening at all.

All that said, what did you have in mind as far as other abilities go?
TigerStripes

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:50 am

It depends on the weapon. Like something that doesn't hit very hard, but might give you a bonus to defense/cause the enemy to take an attack penalty if you hit. Or a weapon that might occasionally allow you to make two attacks per round (that would be tricky- might need a damage cap to prevent it from becoming overpowered).

Now that I think about it, it seems likely that the way in which crits are scored will get revamped too, so you could increase or decrease a specific weapon's chance for a crit.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby ElSterno » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:36 pm

I kind of think that the infection mechanic could use a little more meat. Heh, meat...

Anyway, more than one counter. A counter for your specific, currently active infection and an over-all counter for the nanite infection level. The more often you're infected, the higher your nanite infestation gets, the more susceptible to further and more dramatic transformations you become. Maybe there could be healing benefits to higher infestation levels while your mind becomes more susceptible to those rapid transformations as well.

More infection areas would be really cool as well, head, torso, butt, etc. could be divided up to cover a lot more parts of the body. It could also allow for more variation of the various mutations, like a butch girl-bunny, or a sissy cheerleader, or grizzly. There's a lot of potential in a more nuanced system of transformations, instead of trying to cram more and more transformations in the game, why not expand each one more completely to fulfil the game settings (male, female, shemale, fem-boy, butch, dom, sub whatever). The mutations could be more than "This kind of monster is a dominant shemale, this kind of monster is a submissive female". You have a lot more potential when you're making your own engine to tailor the PC to the player than you do in the old text format.

Is that all very complicated? Maybe, I don't know, but that's not my problem! :mrgreen:

Most of the numbers for the entire game can be enhanced as well, libido can be a more nuanced system. Ditto for Fertility and Virility, semen volumes, ovum production. Even saliva, and body capacities for un-birth or whatever can be given a more solid and transparent numerical base.
ElSterno

Postby Dirius » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm just curious if the move to flash is 100% certain. Because as someone who does a lot of this on a phone or a tablet, this is sad news as it means I will no longer be able to play the game.
Dirius

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:23 pm

It was announced months ago. They've hit the memory limit for the current game engine and have been forced to continually cut old content to make room for new stuff. Moving to Flash (using code originally created by Fenoxo) will allow them to grow the game without such limitations, as well as get away from the clunky saveword mechanic and allow them to fix some issues that have popped up due to artifacts of the current code.

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby Dirius » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:22 pm

It's not as if Flash is the only option though. HTML 5 and Javascript are capable of just as much while still working across many devices.
Dirius

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Did you miss the part where this was announced months ago? As in, the decision was made late last year/early this year. Also, not a member of the programming team, so arguing with me about it is going to accomplish nothing.

Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Suffice it to say that the Flash alpha is not our only plan, but it's the one that's already gotten far enough that we can start showing it.
TigerStripes

Postby Songbird » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Of important note, there is a thread on Fenoxo's forum wherein Savin, one of the writers for Trials in Tainted Space, actually recommends asking to borrow the TiTS engine instead of Unnamed Text Game. I'd take this offer seriously and get into contact with Fenoxo about doing so, since the UTG engine also suffers from content overflow issues and the newer one is significantly more robust.
Songbird

Next

Return to Dev Chat