Flash FS and Hunting questions

Flash FS and Hunting questions

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:32 am

Hey, I saw on the announcement on the main page that the Hunt function for FS's Flash version is going to be different in that you'll need to encounter a creature before you can hunt it. Two questions regarding that:

One, will we be able to hunt events that we get informed of (like stuff characters like Good Alexandra tell you)?

Two, by default, you'll never encounter enemies that are too high above you outside of Hardcore mode, will there be some way to change that for players who want to either challenge themselves or deliberately get certain infections?
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Re: Flash FS and Hunting questions

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:47 am

It's far too early to be able to effectively answer these questions. It's clear we'll need to change how some things function, like hunting, will need to be changed in this version, but we won't know how until we get there. The current version of the game's become fairly reliant on hunting, but it's very likely we won't be able to get the same functionality out of the new flash version. We'll have to keep your points in mind while we go forward, hoping to find solutions.
TigerStripes

Postby Shoggoth on the Roof » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:09 am

I thought that might be the case. I was reading the announcement and just thinking how difficult some of the quests would be with that change. But then, the new game doesn't have to be a one-to-one match, either. Good time to make revisions.
A big monster like that on such a pointed roof... You may ask 'how does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?'

That, I can tell you in one word: tentacles!
Shoggoth on the Roof

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Shoggoth on the Roof wrote:I thought that might be the case. I was reading the announcement and just thinking how difficult some of the quests would be with that change. But then, the new game doesn't have to be a one-to-one match, either. Good time to make revisions.

Several possible solutions present themselves, though some of them are rather daunting. I've not yet had an opportunity to delve into the code for BB's Flash version and have no direct Flash experience, so I can't be certain yet what can be done and what cannot, nor how easy those ideas would be. That said, a few options to consider do present themselves:
- Quest Log or some other tracking method, from which 'hunting links' can be activated. This would require constant maintenance and updating as quests are added, but has been a long-desired feature.
- Marking events as 'huntable' once an NPC/event/location has prompted the player about them. Those thus marked and unresolved might then be made to appear in the hunting list. This would require appropriate flagging when those prompts appear.
- Sniffing out clues: I've used the scent messages of areas to provide hints about what creatures are in the area - though those messages are currently out of date in regards to new additions and re-located critters. If we re-implement smelling, that could be used to 'find' some creatures and have them appear on the hunting list. Again, that'd require some prompting to work out.
- Text-Entry: Manage to figure out some text-entry method we can use for hunting and other such things, though BB seems to think it'll be unlikely we'll be able to accomplish this.

Any other solutions or ideas people can suggest would be appreciated.
TigerStripes

Return to Dev Chat