New Writer Submission

Re: New Writer Submission

Postby Wahn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Xenophiliac wrote:& How would I set up a random repertoire of talk phrases for the egg that includes the chance of Denise saying things if she's present?

Code: Select all
if companion of player is gryphoness:
   say "     [one of]Talk A[or]Talk B[or]DeniseTalk1[or]DeniseTalk2[at random]";
otherwise:
   say "     [one of]Talk A[or]Talk B[at random]";

or, if you want to do some more elaborate stuff:

if companion of player is gryphoness:
      let randomnumber be a random number from 1 to 3;
   otherwise:
      let randomnumber be a random number from 1 to 2;   
   if randomnumber is:
      -- 1:   
         say "     Random Talk 1.";
         say "     More Scene.";
         say "     [WaitLineBreak]";
         say "     And even more scene.";
      -- 2:
         say "     RandomTalk2.";
         say "     More Scene.";
      -- 3:
         say "     DeniseTalk1.";
         say "     More Scene.";
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:38 am

Above stuff

Yea I went ahead and did that for the basic talk scenes, i might remove those/ change them if i make the Denise talk scenes more in depth
----
Didn't do as much lately as i hoped, but ill figure it out
-Added preliminary Denise stuff, which is entirely changeable depending on whether or not people approve of it; Stuff originally written by others is totally up to them/their advocates to decide on whether or not it's acceptable, and ill change it if need be
-Also worked out a few basic overall ideas for the entire project, and wrote another scene for Hatchling. I've kind of set up the gryphon in that player interaction one way or another in different scenes affects gryphon (stats, i guess?) that'll change how the gryphon reacts later/what it does later. The exact amount of changes per 'stat' per scene will probably need balanced at the end of the project, along with the required checks utilizing them.
~~~~~I can also stop with the regular progress/idea updates if they're bothersome; this thread's massive, and I dunno if everyone going through this on a regular basis is annoyed by the amount of posts/me posting often :?
Attachments
Kid G.rar
(26.15 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Wahn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:56 am

Oh, keep posting - it's nice to see what goes on with this.

Another little note is that you could push some feelings and instincts at the player if they're in the feral gryphon or blue gryphon form themselves - depending on gender. Females being drawn to the egg, wanting to nurse a hatchling, etc.
Wahn

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:16 am

Xenophiliac wrote:& How would I set up a random repertoire of talk phrases for the egg that includes the chance of Denise saying things if she's present?

Here are two other ways to handle this.

This first arranges for some of the dialog variations vary depending on her presence while others remain uninfluenced.
say "     [one of][if companion of player is gryphoness]Talk A w/Denise[otherwise]Talk A general[end if][or]Talk B[or]Talk C[or][if companion of player is gryphoness and libido of gryphoness >= 8]Talk D w/2 gryphlets[otherwise if companion of player is gryphoness and libido of gryphoness >= 4]Talk D w/1 gryphlet[otherwise]Talk D w/no gryphlets[end if][in random order]";

Talk A could be for anything where Denise gets involved or looks on while it plays out. Talk B and C would be ones that aren't different when she's there. Talk D would be for something that could involve Denise's gryphlets instead (such as playing a game alone or with one or two little friends).

The second is to make a special one-time scene when Denise is present.
DeniseKidGScene1 is a truth state that varies.  DeniseKidGScene1 is usually false.

if DeniseKidGScene1 is false and companion of player is gryphoness and a random chance of 1 in 3 succeeds:
   say "Special, one-time scene w/Denise.";
   now DeniseKidGScene1 is true;

This is best for scenes that should only really play out once, provide a more expository or character-building moment. Usually,they're a little longer than the normal dialog. They'd not be saved in the saveword, allowing them to pop up again when the player restores from saveword, but otherwise they'd not keep repeating through the game. I've used these in a few spots, such as when providing Alexandra's back story as seen from the perspective of Good Alexandra or Bad Alexandra. In that case, the second scene requires the first to have been played out, and the third requires the second, but this need not always be the case.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:10 pm

This is best for scenes that should only really play out once, provide a more expository or character-building moment. Usually,they're a little longer than the normal dialog. They'd not be saved in the saveword, allowing them to pop up again when the player restores from saveword, but otherwise they'd not keep repeating through the game. I've used these in a few spots, such as when providing Alexandra's back story as seen from the perspective of Good Alexandra or Bad Alexandra. In that case, the second scene requires the first to have been played out, and the third requires the second, but this need not always be the case.

Is it usually good to have the scenes replay like that? I have some stuff set up for Denise using the basic:
if <x> is 0:
     say "~~";
     now x is 1;

But if having character building scenes play when the saveword is reloaded is preferable, i can change how the talkscene is set up.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:57 am

During quick perusal of your posted files for the Foul Scuttler and the Pretty Kitty, there's a few things I see.

- The Foul Scuttler file's been renamed, but the whole thing is still 'Outerling' from title, to content, to file end. Have you sent an older version again?

- You're doing something odd with AndroFuck and I'm not quite sure what the point is. My guess is you're looking to prevent that variable from growing incredibly large, but there's a much more efficient way to do so that don't involve using a break.
if AndroFuck < 3, increase AndroFuck by 1;

That'll increment the variable, but only until it reaches 3. That said, unless you're planning to saveword that variable or you are restraining AndroFuck so another (group of) sex option(s) can be opened at the AndroFuck = 3 point which can then continue (possibly to some new limit), it isn't really necessary to limit its value. A numerical variable in Inform + Glulx (which we're using) can count up to 2147483647 and down to -2147483648.

- On a related note, all NPCs come with a collection of variables that aren't assigned to any given task. It is generally preferable to use one of these to store such data rather than making another variable to increase the game's memory usage. While making a new variable is a drop in the bucket, they do add up over time and we have all these unused variables sitting around the moment a new person is added to the game. These include, but aren't limited to:
hp of <name>
xp of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
level of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
dexterity of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
thirst of <name>
lust of <name>
libido of <name>
weapon damage of <name>
lastfuck of <name> - use this to count delays for sex. starting value 255.

- It's a good idea to include a commented out guide to the breakdown of such variables in your character, especially if they have quirks or complexities. This provides you with reminders and other devs/debuggers with a guide to the various variables and what their values indicate. This is particularly helpful should more work be done on the content at a later date. It's generally recommended to put this at the bottom of the file so it can more readily be found.

I've only done a quick perusal, but those are a few points I've seen. Once you deal with those few points and everything runs, feel free to activate your files. Go ahead and update the story.ni file and get them into the game.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:32 am

The Foul Scuttler file's been renamed, but the whole thing is still 'Outerling' from title, to content, to file end. Have you sent an older version again?
----- :? I really need to stop having like 6 entirely different files of the same damn thing

- You're doing something odd with AndroFuck and I'm not quite sure what the point is. My guess is you're looking to prevent that variable from growing incredibly large, but there's a much more efficient way to do so that don't involve using a break.

Yea, that's what i was trying to do. I've figured out a bunch more since then though. Still thought you had to have an 'otherwise' attached to if statements though.

- On a related note, all NPCs come with a collection of variables that aren't assigned to any given task. It is generally preferable to use one of these to store such data rather than making another variable to increase the game's memory usage. While making a new variable is a drop in the bucket, they do add up over time and we have all these unused variables sitting around the moment a new person is added to the game. These include, but aren't limited to:
hp of <name>
xp of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
level of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
dexterity of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
thirst of <name>
lust of <name>
libido of <name>
weapon damage of <name>
lastfuck of <name> - use this to count delays for sex. starting value 255.

Yea, i'll pop through and rename the Andro<x> variables to NPC hp/xp/whateverys. Same thing as above, didn't know what i do now :)

- It's a good idea to include a commented out guide to the breakdown of such variables in your character, especially if they have quirks or complexities. This provides you with reminders and other devs/debuggers with a guide to the various variables and what their values indicate. This is particularly helpful should more work be done on the content at a later date. It's generally recommended to put this at the bottom of the file so it can more readily be found.
Ill also go through and comment-ify my stuff.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:35 am

I just noticed something with the Hermaid updates you've made. Adding gender-preferred adjustments to a creature that normally has a target gender of "Both" is redundant. The feats will block the female or male portion, as appropriate from a target gender of "Both".

EDIT: Also, Andromeda is still coded to only want sex with pure females, blocking both males and herms. Remember, 'if player is male' simply checks if the player has a cock or not, so herms pass on this as well. Did you want to exclude herms from the fun? That's fine if you do, but I wanted to double-check.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I just noticed something with the Hermaid updates you've made. Adding gender-preferred adjustments to a creature that normally has a target gender of "Both" is redundant. The feats will block the female or male portion, as appropriate from a target gender of "Both".

EDIT: Also, Andromeda is still coded to only want sex with pure females, blocking both males and herms. Remember, 'if player is male' simply checks if the player has a cock or not, so herms pass on this as well. Did you want to exclude herms from the fun? That's fine if you do, but I wanted to double-check.

Didn't know if the feats auto-blocked it, cool to know. I'll go through and delete those lines if its not done already.

And yea, that was the point. Depending on community reception i might change her up later, but that was intended
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Xenophiliac » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 am

Alright, added (probably) final big scene for the hatchling talk, added a bunch of Wahn's suggestions/added your suggestions, Wahn, of having player gryphon bodies inciting some different talk scenes. Did the same with Denise, and added a big talk scene for her meeting the hatchling.

I'm still not entirely sure whether or not the hatchling is finished. There's a bunch of talk scenes where the player interacts with it, increasing the affection of the Gryphon, and two other *stats*. Combine that with a bunch of smaller phrases that crop up more often, it seems complete. But im still up for more interactions and talk scenes regarding it at this point (And also about the entire project so far)

--Much less pressing, is there a better way to refer to a hermaphrodite character than "it" or "herm"?
I.E. "You see the young herm playing with a toy; it seems quite happy with the situation" -- Are there any other (possibly better) pronouns for that?
Attachments
Kid G.rar
(31.1 KiB) Downloaded 724 times
Last edited by Xenophiliac on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Chat