New Writer Submission

Re: New Writer Submission

Postby Wahn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Well, the city that the FS Mud plays in has a pyramid with the throne of Bastet right there in the middle of it.There should be no problem with setting up one in the dry plains.

As for fixing up/repairing old files, you are welcome to do so, provided they are abandoned or you have the author`s permission. Another important point is to keep intact the intended purpose and layout... no sudden character orientation shifts, etc. Active writers might have things planned yet, so be sure to ask before. The most likely long gone candidates for improvements are Hellerhound, Sarokcat and Verath.
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am

As for fixing up/repairing old files, you are welcome to do so, provided they are abandoned or you have the author`s permission. Another important point is to keep intact the intended purpose and layout... no sudden character orientation shifts, etc. Active writers might have things planned yet, so be sure to ask before. The most likely long gone candidates for improvements are Hellerhound, Sarokcat and Verath.

I'll take a look at their stuff for sure, but there were a few that I either mentioned in the general pref. questionnaire that i'd like to take a crack at if given the chance. If I were to dig through and find the authors who wrote the stuff I wanted to add on to, what's the "threshold" for a project being considered abandoned/a writer being considered inactive? & Obviously ill do my best to not change the intended purpose/character persona, Original content gets total control.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Wahn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 am

Well, those that are neither active on the forum nor doing any writing for 6 months I`d count as inactive. So besides Stripes, BB and me, there are some you`d have to ask... Darthan, femtoAmpere, GentlemanB, McRabid to name a few. Kaleem might be still around somewhere too, but the last I heard from him was a "go ahead" when I asked about making changes.

From what I read in your questionnaire, ash creatures and the tentacle beast are on your list. Those are ancient and can use updates, no matter what. Which other things did you want to do?
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:07 am

Well, those that are neither active on the forum nor doing any writing for 6 months I'd count as inactive. So besides Stripes, BB and me, there are some you`d have to ask... Darthan, femtoAmpere, GentlemanB, McRabid to name a few. Kaleem might be still around somewhere too, but the last I heard from him was a "go ahead" when I asked about making changes.

From what I read in your questionnaire, ash creatures and the tentacle beast are on your list. Those are ancient and can use updates, no matter what. Which other things did you want to do?

I'd have to take a look at the list of enemies in FS, but anything that doesn't have a good amount of player victory/player defeat content that someone hasn't already wanted to update id be interested in. It kind of bothers me when a creature is ... "incomplete"?
I probably won't take a crack at it until the gryphon is mostly done and/or i've chugged out the other project ive got going on, but its something id love to do
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:09 am

Wahn wrote:Well, the city that the FS Mud plays in has a pyramid with the throne of Bastet right there in the middle of it.There should be no problem with setting up one in the dry plains.

Well, Nuku'll have to chime in on the origin of that pyramid. It could be a recent construct, a magically transferred temple from Bastet's mystical realm or something else and not necessarily an ancient building waiting to be found.

Personally, I'm wondering why you can't simply use the Egyptian wing of the Museum. As it stands, the Museum needs some sub-rooms in it that the player can visit. The player can then find it as an event in the Museum area, allowing them to encounter your NPC and have a new nav point within the Museum. While this wouldn't be as large as a whole pyramid, you can certainly have a space with one to three rooms for the NPC and to provide a backdrop.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 am

Personally, I'm wondering why you can't simply use the Egyptian wing of the Museum. As it stands, the Museum needs some sub-rooms in it that the player can visit. The player can then find it as an event in the Museum area, allowing them to encounter your NPC and have a new nav point within the Museum. While this wouldn't be as large as a whole pyramid, you can certainly have a space with one to three rooms for the NPC and to provide a backdrop.

Yea, I can work that in; didn't even think of that :/. Had stuff already set up, but this is better in the long run. Less uh, plot issues(?)
I'll have to restructure some stuff, but that ain't no big deal

As a coding question, is there a way to rig something up where the player has to complete some task to allow access to a room? I.E. solve a puzzle, beat an enemy - to unlock a door/the next room?
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Wahn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:29 am

^^ Replace the move into the room with a walk-in event that does not.move the player unless the critical circumstanxes are met. Or add a locked door.
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 am

Alright, just bugfixed and added what Kid G i have into my inform game. It started up alright, but as i entered the dry plains for the first time to find the wendy, a run-time error of "Run-time problem P10: Since Gryphon Hatchling is not allowed the property "charisma", it is against the rules to try to use it."
Do NPC's not have the same stats as the player? or is charisma just a thing they dont have?

^^ Stripes already gave you a list of the standard NPC variables. Here it is again:

I feel like a dong
Last edited by Xenophiliac on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Wahn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:50 am

^^ Stripes already gave you a list of the standard NPC variables. Here it is again:

hp of <name>
xp of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
level of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
dexterity of <name> - used by pets, but unused by general NPCs
thirst of <name>
lust of <name>
libido of <name>
weapon damage of <name>
lastfuck of <name> - use this to count delays for sex. starting value 255.
Wahn

Postby TigerStripes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Xenophiliac wrote:Alright, just bugfixed and added what Kid G i have into my inform game. It started up alright, but as i entered the dry plains for the first time to find the wendy, a run-time error of "Run-time problem P10: Since Gryphon Hatchling is not allowed the property "charisma", it is against the rules to try to use it."
Do NPC's not have the same stats as the player? or is charisma just a thing they dont have?

I feel like a dong

There's nothing stopping you from adding 'charisma' specifically to the gryphon hatchling if it's specifically going to represent his charisma. If you're just looking for some variable to use, use one of the other pre-existing ones instead.
Code: Select all
Gryphon Hatchling has a number called charisma.  Charisma of Gryphon Hatchling is usually 8.   [or whatever]
TigerStripes

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Chat