New Writer Submission

Re: New Writer Submission

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:55 am

Xenophiliac wrote:I'm doubly also looking for feedback regarding my work(s) so far. Would like to know what you guys think so far & what I could improve on.

Last I checked, these both looked good to go. Feel free to push them along and make a pull request.

As for suggestions on how to improve, there's several different routes you can take, all pretty much equally valid. You can also mix and match them up a little. I strongly that you limit these sort of variations to a few at any given time, picking those you either like best or which might be best suitable for the scene you're making. It's a matter of what you want to emphasize or what you particularly like to show in your scenes. Doing too many variations will exponentially increase the workload. Remember, these variations can always be added later if you want to later revisit the NPC/monster and spice them up further.

There's a basic grouping for ways you can help personalize and diversify the scenes.

- Use some more descriptive variables and elements to make the scene a little more customized to the player. They help to insert the player more fully into the scene by having some descriptive elements based on them. I know you've used a few of these already, but I've listed some others for you and the other new coders to consider using. Don't overload the scenes with these, but even just dropping in a selection of these can go a long way in helping the player imagine their character in the scene as a participant and help make their transformations/infections feel relevant to the game and its scenes. I find the bodydesc/bodytype particularly useful for this, as they focus on their infection and apply regardless of player gender.
--- [body size of player] (adjective - tiny to huge)
--- [bodydesc of player] (adjective - physical characteristic - body descriptor entry for their infection)
--- [bodytype of player] (adjective - general 'species' of player - type entry for their infection)
--- [cock of player] (adjective - cock characteristics - you've already been using this one)
--- [cock size desc of player] (adjective - describes the player's cock size based on cock length)
--- [cunt size desc of player] (adjective - describes the player's cunt size based on cunt length)
--- [breast size desc of player] (adjective - describes the player's breast size)
--- [ball size] (adjective + balls/testicles/gonads - describes the size of the player's balls. Note: no 'of player' on this one and it includes a random noun)
--- [cum load size of player] (adjective describing the size of the player's load. Typical usage is: "your [cum load size of player] load")

- Varying player loss scenes based on whether the player lost or submitted. This is done by checking:
[if hp of player > 0] - Player still has positive hp, ergo they submitted.
This can be used to vary a scene anything from slightly (such as a different intro to the player loss scene to better depict the fact that they submitted) all the way to a wholly different reaction and scene from the victorious creature.

- Use of varied text within the scenes based on player-based values. This can be based on the size/number of genitals, their body size, their libido/humanity levels, having specific feats, having a specific (usually matching) infection, their preference settings (such as 'anallevel') and so on. These need not be fully different scenes, though they can be used in that manner if you'd like. Generally, you can just include an [if...] in the say statement to either have a few words or a sentence or two vary depending on one of these values or have an additional sentence appear if a certain criterion is met. A pretty complete list of such values and possible variations can be seen in this post. Part 5 of that post includes a listing of several of the more common and useful of these, though the whole post should be very informative and provide a lot of possibilities.

- Varying scenes based on random chance. Doing this can increase the replayability value of scenes for the player. You can use this for stuff like:
--- Having some of the text vary for minor differences or have a slightly different reaction from one or both participants, but not affecting the overall scene.
--- A selection of possible dialog from the player's partner/foe to keep things from feeling too repetitive.
--- Having an extra chunk to the scene which might appear sometimes or which might vary between alternate options. An example of this would be additional or a different form of foreplay.
--- Having different endings for a scene, such as the player or their lover pulling out or staying in at the moment of climax.
--- Having completely different scenes which the game might cycle through or randomly choose each time.
Again, there's info on these and a good set of common examples of these in Part 5 of this post.

Having even just a couple of potential scenes for a creature or NPC can go a long way in increasing the fun to be had with them. Using stuff from the above should provide a lot of different ways you can execute this.
TigerStripes

Postby Wahn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 am

Xenophiliac wrote:So I think i've decided to either take a crack at a new NPC idea or to work on farm things (ferals, npcs, whatever). Regarding the second option, what is most needed there? I'm figuring something oriented towards female/possibly herm players, but i want to get confirmation/ideas before i start anything serious.

In regards to the farm, here is what currently is planned:
- an artificial breeding station for horses
- feral Mustang npc and infection
- a catgirl npc who grows up on the farm in numerous events where the player can influence her
- feral goat npcs (male + female) and infection

The area is wide open for further events/npcs/infections. Just let me know what you`d like to do and we can talk about where and how to fit it in.

An open point for expansion is Wendy the cow, never got around to writing more for her. So if you want to do some cow sex, you`re welcome to do so. She also is pregnant with the offspring of a pretty large feral gryphon... numerous things could be done on that front. Maybe she could lay an egg and the player could influence its contents by applying infective material to it... milk, cum, juice, ...
Or of course a normal birth with living offsprimg in one specific form that you could take in all kinds of directions...

Interactions between the farm and plains monsters might also make interesting events. There could even be something that specifically only attacks the farm - an escalation to grass menonsters, since the nanite grass has been so far unable to tear the farm down.
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Last I checked, these both looked good to go. Feel free to push them along and make a pull request.

Alright, didn't know if I needed to push them along or if you guys had to do something special with them to lock the new content for a few weeks for non-subscribers.

Yea, i've been trying to throw more descriptors in, but ive only used a few so far. Including different descriptors and having parts of scenes play on random chance is something I'll take a crack at, didn't even think about that. Including a few different sentences depending on player values is something i should take a crack at too. I intend to re-write some of the Hermaid stuff & expand its content at some soon point, so that'd be a good place to try and implement some of these.

In regards to the farm, here is what currently is planned:
- an artificial breeding station for horses
- feral Mustang npc and infection
- a catgirl npc who grows up on the farm in numerous events where the player can influence her
- feral goat npcs (male + female) and infection

The area is wide open for further events/npcs/infections. Just let me know what you`d like to do and we can talk about where and how to fit it in.

An open point for expansion is Wendy the cow, never got around to writing more for her. So if you want to do some cow sex, you`re welcome to do so. She also is pregnant with the offspring of a pretty large feral gryphon... numerous things could be done on that front. Maybe she could lay an egg and the player could influence its contents by applying infective material to it... milk, cum, juice, ...
Or of course a normal birth with living offspring in one specific form that you could take in all kinds of directions...

Interactions between the farm and plains monsters might also make interesting events. There could even be something that specifically only attacks the farm - an escalation to grass menonsters, since the nanite grass has been so far unable to tear the farm down.

Well out goes my horse idea :?
-Though kid gryphon sounds like a cool idea. Having a Feral Gryphon npc/pet/companion would be pretty sweet, and having the player able to influence its form before its birth (either by feeding the cow or directly influencing the egg) with different items would make for good customization. I'd have to find a way/be shown a way to generalize items into sets by name/type or just take a few specific items that can change its form and have those affect it. Could also have it's attitude change depending on player treatment, though that might take a while to figure out/implement. Could also track specific stats of the unborn gryphon (Size, corruptedness, gender) and have them combine to form a semi-unique gryphon, but the rest of the content would either have to be kind of generalized or there'd need to be a lot of different scenes/events.
Though that's definitely an idea that ill probably take a crack at soon. How would I have something trigger "X" rounds after a previous event. I.E., for this instance, i'd want the first event to trigger rounds after the player finds Wendy, starting off the gryphon events.
-Otherwise there's a few ideas puttin around in my head for farm content, but nothing extremely substantial so far. The monsters attacking the farm gave me an idea, and i have a few basic, basic NPC ideas/Forms that might fit at the farm, but nothing major for the farm besides those. I can throw them out here if you all want though.

Besides for farm, I do have one major idea that i'll probably chug along with too if it catches on.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:16 pm

As for other NPCs, there's room for more to be added around the game, either scattered into new locations of their own or to help enrich otherwise empty or sparsely populated places.
TigerStripes

Postby Wahn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Xenophiliac wrote:Though that's definitely an idea that ill probably take a crack at soon. How would I have something trigger "X" rounds after a previous event. I.E., for this instance, i'd want the first event to trigger rounds after the player finds Wendy, starting off the gryphon events.

A simple everyturn counter:
Code: Select all
An everyturn rule:
   if Lust of Wendy is 1:
      if player is in the Grey Abbey Library:
         say "     <Wendy lays an egg!>";
      otherwise:
         say "     Somehow, thoughts turning around Wendy the cow come to the forefront of your mind, with the crazy idea that she might have gotten pregnant from that gryphon chief among them. No, that couldn't have happened - or could it? Maybe you should go to the McDermott Farm and find out...";
      now hp of <GryphonKid> is 1;
      increase score by a random number between 5 and 10;
      now Lust of Wendy is 0;
   if Lust of Wendy > 1:
      decrease Lust of Wendy by 1;

If you make the egg into an npc, you'll be able to use the trading mechanic to let the player apply items to it. Also, players would be able to "fuck" the egg - meaning they can rub up against it until they cum, after which the cum/femcum soaks through the shell. Who knows what results that might have...

Hope I'm not pushing too big a project at you with this - if you start up with too many options planned, this can get out of hand quickly. Maybe develop the egg with one or two options of changing stuff for a start, all the way till its maturity and with nice scenes, then later expand that sideways, adding new shapes and scenes. That way you'll have the completed path for sure...
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:43 pm

As for other NPCs, there's room for more to be added around the game, either scattered into new locations of their own or to help enrich otherwise empty or sparsely populated places.

I have one fleshed-out NPC idea that would probably be suited for the Dry Plains, but it could probably be worked in in a few places.
The other NPC ideas i have are just basic thoughts though. Is there anywhere thats significantly lacking in NPCs?

If you make the egg into an npc, you'll be able to use the trading mechanic to let the player apply items to it. Also, players would be able to "fuck" the egg - meaning they can rub up against it until they cum, after which the cum/femcum soaks through the shell. Who knows what results that might have...

Hope I'm not pushing too big a project at you with this - if you start up with too many options planned, this can get out of hand quickly. Maybe develop the egg with one or two options of changing stuff for a start, all the way till its maturity and with nice scenes, then later expand that sideways, adding new shapes and scenes. That way you'll have the completed path for sure...

Yea, accounting for everything at my current skill level is probably not attainable right now ( :? ), but im totally willing to add stuff later
But i'm definitely willing to give it a shot, I really like this idea so far. Should I construct my own file, or should i add it to the farm file? Im assuming the former

Few code questions:
How does the trading system work? I can have the gryphon change somehow by using a number increase if an item is applied to it, but whats the code for "giving" the item to the npc?
How can i have an event trigger when a player walks into an area. I know that the Sandra/Fang events trigger after some amount of days when the player re-enters the library lobby.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Wahn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Xenophiliac wrote:How does the trading system work? I can have the gryphon change somehow by using a number increase if an item is applied to it, but whats the code for "giving" the item to the npc?

[giving the NPC something and letting him react to it]     
instead of trading the TRADEITEM when the current action involves the TemplateNPC:
   say "     TemplateNPC says: That's a nice TRADEITEM! I'll give you OTHERITEM for it. Okay?";
   if player consents:
         say "     You trade TRADEITEM against OTHERITEM.";
         decrease carried of TRADEITEM by 1;
         increase carried of OTHERITEM by 1;
   otherwise:
         say "     You decline.";

Xenophiliac wrote:How can i have an event trigger when a player walks into an area. I know that the Sandra/Fang events trigger after some amount of days when the player re-enters the library lobby.

instead of going west from Central Farm Square while (hp of <egg> is 1):  [we're replacing the move with our event]
   move player to McDermott Barn;  [you have to move the player by hand, since you're replacing the normal move]
   say "     As you walk into the barn - you see that Wendy has laid an egg!";
   now hp of <egg> is 2;  [player walked in on the eggy and now knows its there]
Wahn

Postby Xenophiliac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Kid G by Xenophiliac begins here.

[Hp of GryphonEgg]
[0 = Player doesn't know]
[1 = Player Knows]

MaleGryphonVariant is a number that varies.
FemaleGryphonVariant is a number that varies.
HermGryphonVariant is a number that varies.

if Missing Cow is resolved and Cow Hunting is resolved:
   An everyturn rule:
      if Lust of Wendy is 20:
         if player is in the McDermott Barn:
            say "     Hearing loud [']MOO[']s coming from Wendy, you quickly rush over to the distressed cow, her belly bulging out massively. Not knowing what's wrong with her, you freak out for a few moments before rational thought comes back to you. Resolving to quickly find Corbin, you rush wildly throughout the farm, drawing a few odd glances your way. Finally finding Corbin [if thirst of Corbin is 1]in the Worker's Barracks[otherwise]in the Milking Shed[end if] you quickly explain that something is up with Wendy, and you both quickly run back to the Barn.";
            say "     Re-entering the barn, you see the cow is just as distressed as before, now lying on her side and still Mooing loudly. Rushing over to the cow, Corbin kneels next to her and speaks soothingly to her. A quizzical look crosses his face as he does so, looking her over and feeling a few places along her stomach. 'I think she's giving birth.' he says, the tone of his voice conveying his confusion. 'There are a few towels on that shelf over there, grab some and bring them over here!'";
            say "     You're all like this for an hour or so, Corbin informing you that there's not much either of you can do right now but wait. He does his best to make Wendy comfortable, but it's a waiting game at this point. Finally, after one long, loud [']MOO!['] and a few unsavory noises, Wendy finally gives birth, causing both of you in the room to become even more confused.";
            say "[WaitLineBreak]";
            say "     Taking a towel and wiping off the object that Wendy birthed, Corbin looks at it closely. 'This is an egg.' he says, after a few moments of confusion. 'She layed an egg... well, I guess she's a mom now.' Gathering some straw in a vaguely nest shape and setting the egg down inside it, he shakes his head, muttering something under his breath about '...king gryphons', he mentions that he has to go tell Anthony about what happened.";
            say "     Wendy, having quickly recovered from her stressful ordeal, scrambles to her feet, walking over to the nest and giving the egg a quick lick before going back to mulling about the barn randomly.";
            now hp of Gryphon Egg is 1;
            move Gryphon Egg to McDermott Barn;
         otherwise:
            say "     As you're walking, your thoughts turn to Wendy, the cow you rescued from the large gryphon. Thinking to yourself, you wonder if the gryphon was actually able to impregnate the cow. Releasing an audible [']huh['] at the thought, you resolve to visit the cow when you get a chance.";
            now hp of Gryphon Egg is 0;
         increase score by 20;
         now Lust of Wendy is 0;
      otherwise if Lust of Wendy < 21:
         increase lust of Wendy by 1;
      otherwise:
         decrease Lust of Wendy by 1;

instead of going west from Central Farm Square while(hp of GryphonEgg is 0):
   move player to McDermott Barn;
   say "     Entering the Barn, you see that everything appears to be normal. Wendy is inside, ambling about as usual, tools are where they should be... However, sitting in the corner of the barn is a straw-pile nest, lies a pearl-white oval, about knee-height on an average person. Approaching the object, you kneel down in front of it, taking a closer look at the strange thing. Running your hand over the white surface, you can only conclude that this thing is an egg of some sort. Turning around and looking at the cow, you see that she's watching you intently, while her stomach looks less distended than before. Did she really...? Shrugging to yourself, you figure that she must've been pregnant from the gryphon. Leaving it here under the watchful eye of Wendy, you remind yourself to come back later to see if the egg has grown.";

Gryphon Egg is a man. The hp of Gryphon Egg is normally 0.
The description of Gryphon Egg is "[NormalGryphonEggDesc]"
The conversation of Gryphon Egg is { "I'm an egg biatch!" }.

instead of sniffing Gryphon Egg:
   say "     Taking a sniff of the gryphon egg lying in the corner, you resolve that it smells alright. Who would've thought.";

to say NormalGryphonEggDesc
   say "      Taking a look at the new addition to the barn, you conclude that this is a Gryphon Egg. Rising roughly to [if scalevalue of player is > 4]the middle of your lower leg[otherwise if scalevalue of player is < 2]your waist[otherwise]your knee[end if], the egg is pearl-white across its entire surface, with no blemishes anywhere on its surface . Running your hand over it, it feels slightly rough, with some of its surface striken with light cracks or bumps.";
[Color changes depending on gender of egg, roughness changes depending on aggressiveness]

That's what i've drawn up so far. It's super early draft (obviously), but i wanted to be sure that the everyturn rule worked correctly. Does the egg have to "exist" somewhere to have it be able to be moved, or can it just immediately be moved?
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Xenophilia wrote:<everyturn rule>

Since you're thinking of making an everyturn rule, I need to emphasize that one like this must include a check 'if skipturnblocker is 0' before it processes. There are very rare situations during which the player is KO'd or otherwise insensate for a numerous of turns. During this time, messages and actions like this should not be appearing and they should instead be delayed until such time as the player regains consciousness and can receive them. To account for this, you need only add that condition to the portion which displays a message or otherwise does something involving the player. In the case of Wahn's template, the second line needs to be changed thusly.
An everyturn rule:
   if Lust of Wendy is 1 and skipturnblocker is 0:     [<--------- changed here: msg delayed if turns are being skipped ]
      if player is in the Grey Abbey Library:

Also, before any of you new guys start getting funny ideas, you are not permitted to make stuff that skips turns. I have claws; I will use them. :twisted:

----

Checking out your posted content, there's some immediate issues I've spotted:

- An 'everyturn rule' is a special type of rule that is run at the end of every FS turn. When making a new one, that must come first, as you're telling Inform that you're creating one that does this. You just need to make that your first line.

- Your everyturn rule will activate for any player who's banned content resulting in those events being resolved - as banning events works by marking them as resolved to eliminate them from the available pool. As well, I'm guessing those events aren't even available to be encountered until the player's interacted appropriately with NPCs on the farm and this is also done by having them set initially as being resolved. This means it would probably activate right away for everyone starting a new game. This is why Wahn's suggested template dealt directly with lust of Wendy as the appropriate variable. When the conditions are set to start your countdown (Wendy fucked by the gryphon), set lust of Wendy to 1 during that scene/event and the clock'll start counting up with the end of that game turn.

- Your everyturn rule will constantly repeat itself. Upon completion of the rule, Wendy's lust is reset to zero. On the following turn, since Wendy's lust is zero (which is less than 21), it'd be incremented back up by one. This counting will continue until she again reaches 20 and lays another egg, over and over again. The latter part of your rule needs to thereby be adjusted to prevent this, as I'm pretty sure you mean this to be a one-time occurrence.

An everyturn rule:
   if lust of Wendy > 0:
      if lust of Wendy >= 20 and skipturnblocker is 0:
         if player is in the McDermott Barn:
            say "<stuff happens>";
            now lust of Wendy is 0;
         otherwise:
            say "<msg - thinking about Wendy>";
            now hp of Gryphon Egg is 0;
         now xp of Gryphon Egg is 1;         [ <----------- see below ]
      otherwise:
         increase lust of Wendy by 1;

and:

instead of going west from Central Farm Square while hp of Gryphon Egg is 0 and xp of Gryphon Egg > 0:
   move player to McDermott Barn;
   say "<scene - finding egg at barn>";

As you can see, the Gryphon Egg is now placed in the barn right away (so the player'll see it in the room when they enter) and a new variable (xp of Gryphon Egg) has been set to 1. This variable, among other things, will control whether the player gets the message for finding the egg in the barn (otherwise it'd trigger automatically when stepping into the barn before even needing to meet Wendy or trigger her impregnation). Beyond this, this variable would then be your next turn timer, controlling when the egg will hatch. If the player ignores the message about Wendy, the egg should still be counting towards hatching.

On a more general note, you don't need to put:
The hp of Gryphon Egg is normally zero.

Numeric variables are all assumed to have a value of zero unless specified otherwise.

Using the scalevalue for a size comparison on the player is interesting, but it can be a little flawed, as it's not a strictly a height thing. Shorter infections can be marked as a category higher if they are extremely muscled or fat or are tauric. You don't need to change it, but just be aware that stuff like this is not guaranteed to work in all cases.

I also see variables assigned for 'MaleGryphonVariant', 'FemaleGryphonVariant' and 'HermGryphonVariant'. This will be wasteful memory-wise and (more significantly) complicate adding it to the saveword. Unless those variables are all going to progress and change independently during the same playthrough, it is redundant to use three variables for this. When making an NPC, always ask yourself if you're using too many variables, how much information will need to be saved and how much of this information is really just one sequence or branch of sequences. Unless there are concurrent paths (e.g. a quest progression and a sex progression that are independent and necessary to save), things can generally be compressed down. Poor planning of this will make saveword saving/restroring your NPC much more difficult.

In this case, we can assign the hp of Gryphon Egg to control its future gender. Simply use an hp of Gryphon Egg = 1 as the default gender (male, I'm assuming), with 2 and 3 being the other two. As items are applied, swap between 1, 2 and 3 accordingly. Whatever value is there when the egg hatches can then be assigned to the resulting NPC offspring. Having an indicator in the eggs description, either blatant (i.e. stating outright) or subtle (e.g. minor colour changes), would be helpful for players also. Alternatively, you might set one of the other NPCs on the farm to give their 'expert opinion' on the egg's future gender. The other stuff can be more of a surprise, but many players will want to be sure they'll get the gender they want.

[ hp of Gryphon Egg ]
[ 0 = Player doesn't know ]
[ 1 = Player knows - default/male inside ]
[ 2 = herm inside ]
[ 3 = female inside ]

A more long-term point to discuss:
Now, on the aspect of saving this NPC and the apparent plans to have its appearance vary quite a bit based on applied items - that sounds like it'll involve a lot of variables and be quite messy for saving. You're definitely getting into the range of a very complex project with this one. That said, thankfully we've already engineered a solution for this one - Elijah's interactions. They are all compressed into a string of numerical text that is encoded/decoded as needed. I know this is further down the road for your project, but since players will likely want their customized hatchling NPC to remain the same when restoring their save, I think it's best to at least mention this now as a means to do that as long as you can limit the altered features to a specific set. I can see this perhaps including elements like:
- skin colour: special colours and patterns (like cow print)
- secondary skin type: additional scaly patches, special fur, latex hide, etc.
- cock form: gryphon/equine/canine/human/etc.
- cock size (and ball size): none/small/med/large/huge
- udder? - yes or no
- tail - gryphon/horse/wolf/lizard/etc.
and maybe a couple of others.

There'd need to be a fixed list of these, though not all need to be assigned immediately. You just need to plan a fixed set (maybe 8 or so). Each would be a single digit with each value meaning a different result. As an item is applied, any slots that are changed are appropriately adjusted by changing individual characters within the string variable. That string can then be saved in the saveword. Upon restoring, it is read and decompressed, assigning each variable the appropriate value. Scenes can then be built to react as needed and the description can vary depending on the values of the variables. Some scenes, like milking if it has an udder, could even become available if the necessary criteria are met.

This is getting into some rather advanced techniques, but it's something Wahn and I have worked on before, so we'll be able to help you set it up and get it running when the time comes. It's some time down the road, but I want you to know we have a solution which can work with this, though it'll be one that involves a lot of work and care on all our parts to build into a functional unit.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:39 pm

- Your everyturn rule will activate for any player who's banned content resulting in those events being resolved - as banning events works by marking them as resolved to eliminate them from the available pool. As well, I'm guessing those events aren't even available to be encountered until the player's interacted appropriately with NPCs on the farm and this is also done by having them set initially as being resolved. This means it would probably activate right away for everyone starting a new game. This is why Wahn's suggested template dealt directly with lust of Wendy as the appropriate variable. When the conditions are set to start your countdown (Wendy fucked by the gryphon), set lust of Wendy to 1 during that scene/event and the clock'll start counting up with the end of that game turn.

- Your everyturn rule will constantly repeat itself. Upon completion of the rule, Wendy's lust is reset to zero. On the following turn, since Wendy's lust is zero (which is less than 21), it'd be incremented back up by one. This counting will continue until she again reaches 20 and lays another egg, over and over again. The latter part of your rule needs to thereby be adjusted to prevent this, as I'm pretty sure you mean this to be a one-time occurrence.

--Didn't know it marked them as resolved for banning content/being undiscovered by players. And now that I look at the lust reset, i'm pretty sure i put that there accidentally. The other solution is much cleaner though :? - Didn't know the skipblocker was a thing, good to know.
--I didn't want to use anything that dealt with going into another file without asking permission first, so I figured i'd at least set something there. Am I allowed to go through and modify that Farm file to add a lust increase? I don't want to go mucking about in others files without expressed permission.

As you can see, the Gryphon Egg is now placed in the barn right away (so the player'll see it in the room when they enter) and a new variable (xp of Gryphon Egg) has been set to 1. This variable, among other things, will control whether the player gets the message for finding the egg in the barn (otherwise it'd trigger automatically when stepping into the barn before even needing to meet Wendy or trigger her impregnation). Beyond this, this variable would then be your next turn timer, controlling when the egg will hatch. If the player ignores the message about Wendy, the egg should still be counting towards hatching.

--Makes sense, haven't delved into the next part of the turns, been writing the scenes up really quick.

Using the scalevalue for a size comparison on the player is interesting, but it can be a little flawed, as it's not a strictly a height thing. Shorter infections can be marked as a category higher if they are extremely muscled or fat or are tauric. You don't need to change it, but just be aware that stuff like this is not guaranteed to work in all cases.

--I'll see if i can dredge up another way of doing something of the sort. Maybe using the same scalevalue, but giving a much more general sense of size

I also see variables assigned for 'MaleGryphonVariant', 'FemaleGryphonVariant' and 'HermGryphonVariant'. This will be wasteful memory-wise and (more significantly) complicate adding it to the saveword. Unless those variables are all going to progress and change independently during the same playthrough, it is redundant to use three variables for this. When making an NPC, always ask yourself if you're using too many variables, how much information will need to be saved and how much of this information is really just one sequence or branch of sequences. Unless there are concurrent paths (e.g. a quest progression and a sex progression that are independent and necessary to save), things can generally be compressed down. Poor planning of this will make saveword saving/restroring your NPC much more difficult.

In this case, we can assign the hp of Gryphon Egg to control its future gender. Simply use an hp of Gryphon Egg = 1 as the default gender (male, I'm assuming), with 2 and 3 being the other two. As items are applied, swap between 1, 2 and 3 accordingly. Whatever value is there when the egg hatches can then be assigned to the resulting NPC offspring. Having an indicator in the eggs description, either blatant (i.e. stating outright) or subtle (e.g. minor colour changes), would be helpful for players also. Alternatively, you might set one of the other NPCs on the farm to give their 'expert opinion' on the egg's future gender. The other stuff can be more of a surprise, but many players will want to be sure they'll get the gender they want.

--What I want/wanted to do with this was have every scene that was performed by the player add up depending on what they used. I.E. if a male player executed a scene 3 times, the Female Gryphon variant would be 3. I didn't want just one scene to influence the gender heavily, it'd have to be a combination of times over the eggs lifetime. Like if the gryphon defaulted to male, a male player would have to activate a scene "x" number of times to cause the gryphon to be born female. I figure that I could use separate variables to do so easier, but now that i think about it, i think the same problems arise if i use a number line-esque system or separate variables. Checks would have to be included if a player switched genders during the eggs incubation if it required more scenes than one to change its gender.
Later Edit: I think i'm just going to use the basic different hp->gender changes, implementing a system that makes players activate a scene multiple times seems like a pain to do right now. I could probably figure it out, but i'd rather use that time to make more scenes or do other things.

A more long-term point to discuss:
Now, on the aspect of saving this NPC and the apparent plans to have its appearance vary quite a bit based on applied items - that sounds like it'll involve a lot of variables and be quite messy for saving. You're definitely getting into the range of a very complex project with this one. That said, thankfully we've already engineered a solution for this one - Elijah's interactions. They are all compressed into a string of numerical text that is encoded/decoded as needed. I know this is further down the road for your project, but since players will likely want their customized hatchling NPC to remain the same when restoring their save, I think it's best to at least mention this now as a means to do that as long as you can limit the altered features to a specific set. I can see this perhaps including elements like:
- skin colour: special colours and patterns (like cow print)
- secondary skin type: additional scaly patches, special fur, latex hide, etc.
- cock form: gryphon/equine/canine/human/etc.
- cock size (and ball size): none/small/med/large/huge
- udder? - yes or no
- tail - gryphon/horse/wolf/lizard/etc.
and maybe a couple of others.

There'd need to be a fixed list of these, though not all need to be assigned immediately. You just need to plan a fixed set (maybe 8 or so). Each would be a single digit with each value meaning a different result. As an item is applied, any slots that are changed are appropriately adjusted by changing individual characters within the string variable. That string can then be saved in the saveword. Upon restoring, it is read and decompressed, assigning each variable the appropriate value. Scenes can then be built to react as needed and the description can vary depending on the values of the variables. Some scenes, like milking if it has an udder, could even become available if the necessary criteria are met.

This is getting into some rather advanced techniques, but it's something Wahn and I have worked on before, so we'll be able to help you set it up and get it running when the time comes. It's some time down the road, but I want you to know we have a solution which can work with this, though it'll be one that involves a lot of work and care on all our parts to build into a functional unit.

-For right now, I'm probably not going to delve too deep into it. I'm probably going to keep it as a regular Feral Gryphon, no cow-influenced stuff(yet), to keep it simple-ish while I continue to figure this shizzle out. So far, I was thinking of having like 3 or 4 life stages (Egg, Hatchling, Adult), and having the player be able to influence one certain factor during each of them, except for adult. I.E. Gender for the egg lifetime, Aggressiveness during hatchling, etc etc. Granted, it's extremely simple compared to the stuff you listed above, but i'd prefer to make at least a base work for this, and then go through and add more customization when i understand a lot more. It would be simple enough to add a particular item or something that the player can use to "unlock" customizable physical parts, instead of just gender/whatever. I definitely do plan on doing something like that though, with a lot of parts changeable, but like you mentioned, it'll be a while down, probably when I have at least a passing knowledge of what the hell is going on in this code.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Chat