New Writer Submission

Re: New Writer Submission

Postby Xenophiliac » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:53 pm

1) No Aliens

Just as a quick head's up, according to Nuku there are to be no actual aliens or infections derived from true aliens in FS. This is why the Xeno are infected humans corrupted to resemble a popular movie monster. If you want your creature to be 'alien', it can perhaps actually be some kind of ancient extraplanar (magic) entity that's been corrupted or the result of experimentation between such material and humans that got out of hand when the infection struck. Other possibilities are also possible, just no actual aliens because Nuku says so.

Would it be necessary to specifically define that this creature is not an alien, or is changing up the "alien" adjectives/descriptors to things like "Supernatural/mystical/inhuman" be enough to mitigate the issue?
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Wahn » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:42 pm

As long as you don't specifically write "this is an alien" on its forehead, you can have as strange a creature as you like. Who knows what's the origin...
Wahn

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Xenophiliac wrote:Would it be necessary to specifically define that this creature is not an alien, or is changing up the "alien" adjectives/descriptors to things like "Supernatural/mystical/inhuman" be enough to mitigate the issue?

No, you do not need to specifically state that is not an alien, but the whole problem is much more easily avoided by not using it or other such terms at all. Options include referring to it as simply a 'monster', 'mutant', 'mutated horror', 'inhuman monstrosity', 'freakish beast' and other such terms. Why should the player be able to identify how this freakish creature came to be as something different than the obvious explanation of 'crazy nanite infection.' Unless there's a reason to bring up or explain its origin, it's probably best just not to delve into it as long as you know it can't be anything not permitted. And if it's meant to be some horrifying unknown, then not explaining what it is or where it is from actually helps maintain that unknown quality just a little more.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:01 pm

No, you do not need to specifically state that is not an alien, but the whole problem is much more easily avoided by not using it or other such terms at all. Options include referring to it as simply a 'monster', 'mutant', 'mutated horror', 'inhuman monstrosity', 'freakish beast' and other such terms. Why should the player be able to identify how this freakish creature came to be as something different than the obvious explanation of 'crazy nanite infection.' Unless there's a reason to bring up or explain its origin, it's probably best just not to delve into it as long as you know it can't be anything not permitted. And if it's meant to be some horrifying unknown, then not explaining what it is or where it is from actually helps maintain that unknown quality just a little more.

As long as you don't specifically write "this is an alien" on its forehead, you can have as strange a creature as you like. Who knows what's the origin...

Alright, cool. I changed out any "alien" descriptors/adjectives with "supernatural/mystical/unearthly", should hopefully have the finished product up soon.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Xenophiliac » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Alright, here's the finished nerd. I put it through a spellchecker and such, so hopefully it's good to go. I tried to make him a "Do a lot of damage for his level, less average hp for his level" type dude, but he still might be a bit strong, IIRC

What exactly does "now magic entry is false/now magic entry is true" change in the creature?

And on a semi-related note, is there a way to reset the "story" in Inform 7 without re-compiling the entirety of FS? I hate waiting 10 minutes to test only a part of a file.

Also if anyone has a better name suggestion, i'm up for it. I can't come up with names for shit. I'm probably gonna crash for a few hours and then implement collars, i'll throw that up here when it's done
Attachments
Outerling.rar
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am

Xenophiliac wrote:<Outerling questions>

---
- Stats seem okay, I guess. Damage is quite high, but the low hp and dex should balance that off. It'll probably be a fairly quick fight that the player'll win, but won't exit unscathed.
- The magic entry is a variable currently not in use. It is to be marked at 'true' for a creature that is magical in nature or has innate magical powers.
- The command you're looking for is 'restart'.
- Hmmm... other potential names? Scuttling Horror? Dread Beast? Horrid Bane? Grisly Mauler? Foul Scuttler? Hideous Mauler? Savage Mauler? Fierce Horror? Clawed Scuttler? Pick an appropriate adjective and noun pairing you think works. I'm thinking "Scuttling Mauler" or "<something> Scuttler" would work well, as it avoids overlap with the Shadow Beast and the Tentacle Horror already down there. Also, it provides a nice feeling of freakishness suitable to the creature.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:50 am

- Stats seem okay, I guess. Damage is quite high, but the low hp and dex should balance that off. It'll probably be a fairly quick fight that the player'll win, but won't exit unscathed.
- The magic entry is a variable currently not in use. It is to be marked at 'true' for a creature that is magical in nature or has innate magical powers.
- The command you're looking for is 'restart'.
- Hmmm... other potential names? Scuttling Horror? Dread Beast? Horrid Bane? Grisly Mauler? Foul Scuttler? Hideous Mauler? Savage Mauler? Fierce Horror? Clawed Scuttler? Pick an appropriate adjective and noun pairing you think works. I'm thinking "Scuttling Mauler" or "<something> Scuttler" would work well, as it avoids overlap with the Shadow Beast and the Tentacle Horror already down there. Also, it provides a nice feeling of freakishness suitable to the creature.

-That's what I was going for. A few missed rolls and the player could easily go down, but otherwise, they'll probably survive.Is there anything that I could change to make it more balanced/equal?
-Sorry, probably should've clarified more. How is a creature that's magical or that has innate magical powers different from those that don't, stat/ability-wise?
-Man those are all really good. Foul Scuttler really sticks out, i'll make changes and upload it here.

-----

Otherwise, the collars are implemented in the Pretty Kitty. There are a few of them, two of them being Wahn's suggestions, and I threw another one in there for good measure. I'm always open for more ideas regarding those.
Attachments
Pretty Kitty.rar
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
Foul Scuttler.rar
(17.56 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Stat-wise, there's no real difference between magical and non-magical infections. As for the Foul Scuttler, its stats should be fine. If it's really a problem, they can be tweaked later. At a quick glance, the collars look good as well.
TigerStripes

Postby Xenophiliac » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Stat-wise, there's no real difference between magical and non-magical infections. As for the Foul Scuttler, its stats should be fine. If it's really a problem, they can be tweaked later. At a quick glance, the collars look good as well.

Yea, ran through and bought/equipped one, forgot to mention that. They're both ready for introduction into the game AFAIC, whenever yall decide that to be.
I'm also looking for ideas/suggestions for any other project. I have a few ideas, but they're only general concepts. I was thinking some feral content for the farm or another NPC of some sort, though id have to brainstorm for both of them.
I'm doubly also looking for feedback regarding my work(s) so far. Would like to know what you guys think so far & what I could improve on.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

Postby Xenophiliac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 am

[quote="Xenophiliac"]
So I think i've decided to either take a crack at a new NPC idea or to work on farm things (ferals, npcs, whatever). Regarding the second option, what is most needed there? I'm figuring something oriented towards female/possibly herm players, but i want to get confirmation/ideas before i start anything serious.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Chat