New wannabe-writer says "Hi!" :-3

Re: New wannabe-writer says "Hi!" :-3

Postby Kernog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 am

I hear you. :)
What I had in mind was to reproduce a situation one can find in several RPGs: you have that one monster, that is very hard to beat initially (either you have to grind, or you use an exploit), but after doing a few actions, the fight becomes progressively easier.

In my mind, the Pursuer was a (series of) extremely powerful bio-weapon(s), initially made for war but turned into a sex monster by the infection. So, he is MADE to be unbeatable IF you engage him head-on.

Here is how I was envisionning the encounter:
1/ You meet the guy. Chase starts
2/ Three random stages request will either request that you make a decision (left door or right door?), check a stat or a feat (will you spot that valve opening a steam conduit on the monster's path?) or both (left door or right door? *perception check* Oh wait, it seems left door is locked with a keypad; you'll need an intelligence check to open it.)
3/ A score increases or decreases based on these stages and lead to three outcomes: the creature catches up to you and you must fight it at 100% power (negative score), you lose the creature (the less frequent outcome, with a null score) or you find something that weakens the creature greatly and allows you to fight it on lvl 6-7 terms (positive score)

So there won't be an auto-loss AND it will be beatable, only at lvl 20 instead of 6-7.

For the "skippeable/bannable" part, here is what I plan to do; tell me if it sounds good for you:
* skippable: after the first chase, player finds a map of the specific area, so he can get away without being spotted when he hears the creature
* bannable: the game will ask for the player consent each time he will find something related to the creature, with a ominous warning; if the player says no, the counter towards the creature's appearance is not incremented. Also, currently, the creature is bannable with the "guy" flag.

Everything is still at the planning stage, though.
The first version will be a simple lvl 6-7 critter encounter. Everything we are discussing right now will come after the critter and the normal fight is tested.
Current projects done:
Monkey King
Rat Twins Erin and Violet
Astroslide Football Field remake and Roman
Kernog

Postby Savriss » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:16 am

The other alternative is to have it be like the Wyvern, which is a great mechanic.

If the PC gets cornered, they realize after an in-story first blow to it that it's { healing / power / strength } is immense, with the game then presenting the opportunity to either try and beat it back enough to escape or tackle it head on.

The first option presents the lower level of the creature, representing the player only fighting long enough to try and escape. The creature could have high damage and low hp, representing it's strength and the aim of the player to escape. No items and limited xp with a description of getting the creature knocked into piping / cabling / pool of mucky water.

The second option presents the high power version, lots of hp an damage, representing the player turning on the pursuer with the intent of victory. Cue knock down fight of high level.
Pygmalion, craft me my own Galatea!
Savriss

Postby Kernog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:56 am

The concept is interesting, but in my opinion it would make the pursuit something superfluous. I really want players to be "punished" if they play badly and to be "rewarded" if they play well.

So if a player who screwed up wants to get out of the fight, he'll have to go and try to flee it.
That does not prevent me to write a post-fight scene after an escape is successfull.

Alternatively, but that will only be if I can pull it out, I can pull a system with a special action, which does something that is already present with certain monsters like the messy pig or the cock cannon:
It would go like:
Turn 1
> Escape
156 v. 41 - You do something nice, you are one step further from escape (escape counter 1/3)
> Monster attacks
Turn 2
> Escape
89 v. 98 - You try something but fails (escape count 1/3)
> Monster attacks
Turn 3
> Escape
98 v. 67 - you do something else, and are almost able to escape (escape count 2/3)
And so on...

To be honest, though, I'll stick to a good old mandatory fight for the time being.
Current projects done:
Monkey King
Kernog

Postby Kernog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:17 am

I bump this thread, because I wanted to submit something concerning my new critter's loss scene to your opinion.

My plan for the loss scene is that, depending on the player's body size, different variations may happen.
I want to introduce, in a variant where the player has the kinky feat, fingering/fisting.

Fisting is a rather extreme practice, and even I have somewhat peculiar feelings about it: I love vaginal fisting but anal one makes me wince whenever I fall on pictures of it.
Currently, I'm leaning on only having a fisting if it's a vagina, and mere fingering if it's an ass.

Hence, I wanted to have as many opinions as I can on these questions:
[*] Should I include fisting content if the player has the "kinky" feat?
[*] Should I include a fisting variant for both holes (vaginal and anal) or should I only write a variant for the vagina and keep the ass variant tamer?
[*] Should I put additional conditions, like a body size condition?

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this issue. :)
Current projects done:
Monkey King
Kernog

Postby TigerStripes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 am

Kln95130 wrote:<anal fisting question>

There's several options you can use to decide on how you want to gate this sort of content. Firstly, in all cases, it'd probably be best to require "More Anal" (if anallevel is 3) to be selected. Beyond that, your options include: Kinky, Twisted Capacity and/or scalevalue of player (player's body size).
TigerStripes

Postby TigerStripes » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:51 am

Kln95130 wrote:<Pursuer>

I see a couple of issues with your current idea. They are not necessarily deal breakers, but they are points you'll need to consider or may make this project considerably more intricate than a starter project should be. And a good part of it hinges on one particular point: Will this creature always be part of an event? By this I mean that you'll only ever encounter this creature as part of an event (or series of events) structured around it or will it also be a wandering monster? When and if this transition occurs will significantly affect the form this project will take and the amount of work involved to execute some of your ideas effectively. Once I know what you have in mind for that, I can more readily provide feedback and show you some of the pitfalls involved.
TigerStripes

Postby Kernog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:20 am

Okay. First, sorry I haven't given news for some time, I fell ill :s (nothing serious, though)
I'll give you the current state of where I am with this creature:

The Pursuer creature itself is almost complete. I only have a loss scene to write. I made sure to have enough variety for them, and also I put specific conditions for certain more "daring" things. It was actually fun and very interesting to write, as it involved integrating much more conditions and factors than the Monkey King, and actually motivates me to work again on the latter.

The transition would have to make the Pursuer a much stronger, higher-leveled creature, taking it out of the "normal" encounters, and only encounter him through the pursuit event.
I first envisionned it as a recurrent event.

A third option would be to make the chain of event unique, maybe in the form of a quest, which "unlocks" the Pursuer as a critter if the player wants to fight it again.

The skeleton of the events is partially written, and by no mean ready right away. I always envisioned this project as two distinct phases, because I knew there was a risk I would give up or postpone the second part because I'd need change or I'd realize I took on more I could handle.

Currently, my current plans are:
[*] Use the long week-end I have (August 15th is a holiday in France) to finish the critter part of the Pursuer
[*] Tackle on a new critter to get myself used to a mechanic I love a lot and would love to use as often as possible: bound states
[*] Rework/Rewrite the Monkey King with the experience acquired
[*] See what I'll do next

That should get me occupied until the end of the month, if not after.

Edit: In any case, be assured that all the talk about it HAS been useful, even if the Pursuer remains in his initial "critter" form.
Current projects done:
Monkey King
Kernog

Previous

Return to Dev Chat